Suggestions for a new build

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Stumble, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Since I finally finished my last project I am currently left without a single boat project left to work on... I find this situation untenable and am hoping for a few suggestions for my next build.

Design specs in order of importance:

Fast sailboat, capable of planning in less than 10kn of breeze

Hmm, thats pretty much it. I am going to be building this with my girlfriend, so ease of construction would be nice but not critical.

2. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

an ultralight skiff

3. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

The guys need to know a bit more I think. How big, trailer or car topper or marina queen or park it at the sailing club, class racer or fun, water and weather conditions. That way you'll get the most info with the least hassle!

4. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

I can keep in a number of places, either at a yard with a crane, in the water (not preferable), on a davit crane, or if light enough on the dinghy lift of my powerboat. That really isn't a problem.

I am really looking a high performance dinghy type of boat, but all of the plans I have seen were designed in the 70's-80s. Not that they weren't good in their day but I can't believe there isn't something more modern out there. Ideally a small light planning dinghy, but without foils since I don't think I am to trying to build them yet.