Question !! i cant see why not !!

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by tunnels, Jun 6, 2012.

1. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Is it possible to drive shaft a pair motors possibly up to 400 hp away forward of a pair of sterndrives ?? like anything from 1 meter to 2 meters or even more . just interested in the drive and hook up at this stage . its a complete new concept and a balancing act on a 48 foot power boat . :confused:

Hit me with answers please . yes or no and yes i am a nut case ! thats been confirmed dayly because my 2 exwives tells me so !!:D

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

3. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

As i see it there would be just the drive shaft and the exhaust and a rear engine mounting bracket to be made to support the backend of the motor !! the stern drive controlls will stay where they are the engine would simply be moved 1200 mm?? forward on existing beds and all its controls , cables and fuel hoses move with it !! A hollow tubular balanced drive shaft ,universal either end so wouldnt need any supports and would be able to be completely covers up by a bolted down floor for safety !! :) thank you for the infomation !! on to the next probems below!!

What about Bulkhead mounted vertical fuel tanks !! pros and cons ??
    I cant give a heights at this present time !!or actual sizes !!
    Why you ask because there is a boat that out of balance and stern down !

4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

You have been hired as a consultant by "Chaser" :confused:

5. IMP-ish

IMP-ish powerboater

All the boats with staggered engines do one engine like that a few feet. A shaft inside a tube, longer exhaust, and engine mounts.

6. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

No but its a chinese habit getting your *** down these guys are really good at it ! every boat they made is *** down (not for the same reson as chaser ) but they think its great and completely normal !!it looks fast just sitting there !!!. :idea:

7. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

shifting fuel tanks and motors forward would help a lot in this case but the whole boat has a obesity problem from stem to stern, hard top to keel . :(

8. CDK

CDK retired engineer

That would be similar to the "transaxle" construction used in sports cars to bring the center of gravity exactly in the middle. The thin shaft is mounted within a tube, flanged to the engine in the front and the gearbox in the rear.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.