Question from a new guy to boats - needing some help

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Nevertolate, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Nevertolate

Nevertolate New Member

Hey everyone,

I hope I'm sort of in the right spot here. I just bought a 1982 20ft I.M.P. Aztec with an inboard 350. The boat only has 400 hours of use and is in remarkable condition. I had it out this weekend on the lake and everything ran perfect. I'm still new and trying to get comfortable with how the boat handles and breaking over to smooth out.

My question; You’ll have to excuse me, I don't have the boating lingo down yet but my prop and outer unit will no longer go down. I had it out and it lowered down fine and came up fine for the ride home but when I got home to park it, the unit will not come down. I can hear it click when I push the switch up, but nothing when I hit the switch down. When I flip the switch the volts drop as well. The unit seems to be gear driven but I was told is run by hydraulics. I’m pretty sure the hydraulic fluid is normal. There is no safety switch on the gear either. I’m stumped. Can any one shed a little light on things to try? I can provide pics if needed. I thank you all very much.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

These types of issues are usually quite simple for an experienced person to access. There are a number of areas that I would immediately check, with some "likely suspects" which I'd look at first. You may be best advised to take it to a qualified repair shop, so they can find the fault. Often times they will provide this service (for a small fee) where you can then take it home, remove and replace the parts necessary. Since you're new to I/O assemblies, I'd strongly recommend you get a repair manual, if you expect to perform at home service. Try Seloc Publications.

3. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

The "click" you are hearing is most probably a solenoid valve opening, and at the same time a motor should turn to create pressure or just evacuate fluid in the hydraulic system to lower the drive.

The motor probably isn't running, could be just connections or the motor which drives the hydraulic pump is dead.

As a "quick fix" most I/O units have a manual bypass to allow you to lower the drive in a pinch. There may be a screw head somewhere in the hydraulic system, a 1/4 turn loose and the drive should lower via gravity. This will not work for "up.'

BTW, PAR gave excellent advise, if you're new to boating and unfamiliar with the equipment you will need to find a shop, ask other boaters in your area where they take their's.

Keysdisease

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.