transom core clamps

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by pescaloco, Feb 28, 2012.

1. pescaloco

pescaloco Senior Member

Hey guys what are you using for clamps to re-core a transom

Any pictures ?

Somebody hear had made some nice clamps with steel tube and scissor jacks for lifting a small car. I saw the picture here sometime back and never got around to making them. Did a search of a bunch or transom repair jobs but did not see them.

If you know of these great if not I could use some advise on where to buy or better how to fabricate some useful clamps for transom replacement jobs

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Do you need clamps to hold the plywood core in place?

3. pescaloco

pescaloco Senior Member

Yes and to help sandwich against the skin, versus a bunch of screws to draw it in tight

Thank you

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If it has an outdrive, rough cut the hole and bolt through some 2X4 as clamps. Otherwise, I usually get creative with existing holes. For example, the drain, u-bolts and cleats. Long welding vise-grip type clamps work well too.

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

You can also:

Attached Files:

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Boat repair and new construction is mostly about problem solving. Engineering on the fly, is also a helpful skill. Is it really difficult to picture a few sets of cantilevered braces and a length of all-thread or wedges on the other side of a captured fulcrum?

7. pescaloco

pescaloco Senior Member

Thanks for the oh so friendly reply

What I really wanted was to see a picture of the clamp someone on the forum fabricated from a car jack and square steel tube. Or others ingenious systems

I was really looking at how best to deal with a very deep full transom straight shaft boat. with out many existing holes.

Also I have not done a large number of these type repairs so I was just looking for some input.

1 person likes this.
  8. pescaloco

pescaloco Senior Member

Thanks Gonzo and Hoytedow I appreciate you taking the time to give an answer or post a picture

9. thill

thill Junior Member

I second the thanks for the picture. I'm considering doing a simple transom job using plywood, and that diagram is great. (I'm a carpenter, and my mind went straight to screws!)

True, you could have just described it, but the picture made for instant comprehension. Thanks, Hoytedow!

10. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

11. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Vac bag it and save the agro !!! clamps are to localised and only clamp where they touch !!
    Bag the whole transom inside and out side and suck it completely together !!!!!:confused:
    Suck takes tha guess work out of it bonding of not bonding and plastic is easyer to work with reather than stick pushing the inside and distorting the outside when the pressure is applied to just the inside !!.

Bag it !!!

12. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Bagging works well, but most times braces cut from lengths of 2x4, wedged against the interior of the boat, are all that are necessary. I've never needed clamps and usually glue the core together outside the boat, rather than in place. The assembled core is then placed against the hull shell, in a bed of thickened goo and lightly braced, to unsure good contact. Heavy clamping isn't necessary nor desirable with epoxy. While the core to hull shell interface is kicking off, I fillet the edges and tab it into the hull shell, making chemical bonds and taking advantage of any ooze out around the perimeter of the core.

This should become fairly apparent, by doing several "dry runs" so you can arrange clamps, braces, materials and tools for the actual job.

13. pescaloco

pescaloco Senior Member

Thanks for the replies

Thanks for the pics waikkin and hoytedow

14. brokensheer

brokensheer Senior Member

I bought some less expensive boat stands, welded a c frame. then welded some pipe to the frame and us the screw pads to tighten her down, the 10x10 pads does real good I have four on a small one and six on a lg. one,,

15. Matt Gent

Matt Gent Junior Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Core (3X) laminated separately. The flexibility of the 2x4 in the weak-wise bending direction helps to get a (more) even load distribution. Also, this is a small motorboard style transom.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.