Question about mold making

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by shobley, Aug 22, 2008.

1. shobley

shobley New Member

OK I have a confession to make - I joined the forum to learn more about fiberglass and mold making, not so much about boat building.
    But I read some of the posts and you seem like a knowledgeable bunch.

[Although I was rather proud of myself for knowing what the keel of a boat was when I signed up - so I'm not a complete loss]

My question is - can molds be made using the "gel-coat with wax" type of resin, or should the none-wax kind be used?

I understand that the wax is added to gel coat to provide an air-dry product for repairing the external surface of existing GRP. What are the implications of using the "with wax" kind for a mold that you want to re-use?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

My gosh - No! You need your gelcoat "sticky" for the resin to stick to it. Wax will do the opposite. Wax in gelcoat would only be usedful for top-coating -- y'know, spraying the backside of the finished layup to make it pretty.

3. shobley

shobley New Member

That's what I thought...

I went with the none wax, even though there was a cost saving on the waxed kind.

Thanks!