Conversion to jet drive

Discussion in 'Jet Drives' started by gm1, Jan 25, 2002.

1. gm1

gm1 New Member

Anyone have any information about converting a standard inboard/outboard hull ( 20' Bertram, for example) to Hamilton or other brand jet drive. I'm looking for shallow draft without the tilt problems of typical outdrives.

Is this easily done? Expensive? Possible for older fiberglass boats?

2. Guest

Guest Guest

It is certainly not impossible, but I would not categorize it as easy or inexpensive either. I think the transom should be ok (jet drive should cover the existing cutout) but cutting the existing keel and reworking the bottom for the intake is still no small project. Would you be doing the fiberglass work yourself?

If I were you, I would email Hamilton, Berkeley and a few other jet drive manufacturers directly and ask about similar refit projects. Talking to others who have done the same project might save you from a few gotcha's down the line.

3. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

4. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

Berkeley is no more. The company that now builds those drives is http://www.legendjet.com/

A company called UltraJet also seems to be making a name for itsself, and North American Marine Jet is still around, based in Arkansas, used to be Jacuzzi.

5. gm1

gm1 New Member

6. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

gm,

I'm glad you found a good source for the information you were looking for - sorry I wasn't able to offer better leads.

I hope you let us know how it goes as your project progresses.

7. Bendy

Bendy Guest

jet pumps

i have a pp jet drive on my boat and i have been told they are now under a different name. Any ideas what that name could be? .
    thanks

8. Hannu Rantala

Hannu Rantala Junior Member

I think pp-jet is nowadays Rolls-Royce in Finland. There is also other manufacturer in Finland namely Alamarin-Jet.

9. Chinookfever

Chinookfever New Member

One other option - Check out jetpac.us They make an add on diesel jet that hangs off of the stern of the boat. I looked at this one based on low fuel consumption and all stainless pump. Retails for around $20k will all electronics and controls. I decided against it since I need to trailer over some 4WD roads and the extra 4 ft hanging off of the trailer wouldn't work.

10. Hannu Rantala

Hannu Rantala Junior Member

I have experiences in conversing sterndrive into jetdrive. It definitely is possible. But the amount of work depends on jet installation type.

Actually I am doing such work at the moment. It is 26 feet double sterndrive boat. I have removed sterndrives and engines and cut a hole for installation template which is to be laminated in the hull. a week or two work. ask if you are interested.

11. jim mc

jim mc New Member

Jet drive help

I have bought a hull with a Noral unit fitted; does anyone know anything about these and what sort of engine/gearing/clutches are typically used? :)

Cheers,

Jim

12. PKilbride

PKilbride Guest

You may consider this as an alternative:

http://www.arneson-industries.com/bravo_to_arneson_conversion.htm

13. Black Swan

Black Swan Junior Member

I'm also in the planning stages of conversion - this one is from twin diesel / vee drives to jet drives. Options are pretty diverse and pricing can reach exorbitant. Recommend you "google" search Doen, Hamilton, Legend, American Turbine, Ultrajet, and others. My own current "leaders" are AT and Hamilton. The research goes on.

14. Black Swan

Black Swan Junior Member

Just spoke to the AT people and they indicate that their jets are not suited to diesel engine use. Has to do with the "energy absorbtion / torque / RPM range. It seems that their jets are best at absorbing the torque from a given engine in the 4000 to 5000 RPM range. My TAMD40 diesels are rated at max. HP at 3600 RPM, and generally operating around 3200 to 3400 WOT. Our normal cruise around 2400. The search goes on.

15. Pazz

Pazz New Member

pp jet

PP jet drives have been taken over by Vosper Thorneycroft in Portsmouth, but are really expensive for spares (£500 for an impeller) But i have found a guy up in the Midlands who is cheap,,,,
    I have a pp on my Fonda 166 GTO (v8 rover engine)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.