1979 Silverton Convertible - should I buy

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by tjrazin, Jun 27, 2006.

1. tjrazin

tjrazin New Member

Hello all...after reading some of the threads, I KNOW I am out of my league. But...I have a chance to purchase a 1979 Silverton Convertible. This would be the largest boat I have owned to date and would like to get some feedback as to the overall history of the boat...built well?...any specific trouble area I should look for?...etc. Any advice, suggestions would be welcomed and appreciated.

Tom:cool:

2. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

Silvertons aren't the best boats on earth, but aren't the worst either. Being a 1979 it probably needs quite a lot of work. Make sure to get the boat surveyed before you commit to anything. A good surveyor will uncover many hidden problems that can bite you later on. Also, moving up to a bigger boat means everything is more expensive, and there's a lot more of it. This boat, especially with gas engines, will consume a frightening amount of fuel. Keep this in mind as well. If burning $400 worth of gas for a weekend cruise or a day's fishing doesn't scare you, you're probably good to go. Good luck.

3. cutthemdown

cutthemdown Junior Member

I just picked up a 74 28 flybridge by Silverton. It needs some work but has reciepts for engine rebuild. Boats in really good shape outside of a coat of paint and some outfitting. A little finishing off of certian things.

Attached Files:

4. cutthemdown

cutthemdown Junior Member

heres one more

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.