Question about completely foam filled hulls

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Jmooredesigns, Dec 25, 2016.

1. JamesG123

JamesG123 Senior Member

As exhibited here.

2. JamesG123

JamesG123 Senior Member

Which was the point of my post and analogy to a bolt. The foam in a sandwich composite structure, is of course under load, but the stresses are concentrated in the skins and the bonding between the foam and skin, so arguing about the foam indicates either; one doesn't really understand the engineering, they missed the point, or are just picking a fight. ;)

3. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

That is not right. The stresses, in pure bending, are distributed throughout the thickness of the sandwich.
    I, at least, am not "arguing about the foam". What I have said from the beginning is that the foam can be used but that the tension/compression it is able to withstand is very low compared to other materials. Therefore, I would never use it as a structural element. Another problem is that, by better supporting the shear stresses, it can be used (although I would not) as material for the core of a sandwich panel and, above all, as the core of a top hat profile.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.