question about aluminum for 36 foot cat hulls

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by mojomfg, Jul 29, 2012.

1. mojomfg

mojomfg Junior Member

if aluminum were to be used in a catamaran hull of this size range for a coastal power cat . what would be the appropriate thickness ????

intended purpose of the boat would be a liveaboard to bounce around the carribean cozumel/ belize/ roatan

i realize the weight savings of aluminum wont come into play for a 9 - 10 meter boat but aluminum welding and fabrication is my area of expertice

2. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

How long is a piece fo string..?????

Thickness depends upon several factors, which include: max speed, the displacement, the frame spacing and the stiffener spacing.

36 foot is insufficient info.

3. mojomfg

mojomfg Junior Member

ok thanks .. for the input lets see if i can give more info

max speed 20-24 knots cruise 15 knots

was thinking around 30 - 36 inches 75 -90 cm between frames

dispacement 6500 - 7000 kg

stiffner spacing around every 24 inches

not sure what you mean for " how long for the string "

4. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

WOAH!!!!!....way too much. Also loads of localised buckling and panting/starving horse look when done.

Half that would be about right...thus circa 300mm...any more would be silly.

If you don't use the boat much and not in big seas....4mm should do...if you will use it a lot and go into bigger sea states, occasionally, then around 5mm.

5. mojomfg

mojomfg Junior Member

i assume many " SAFE " and HOMEADE boats are over built

in airplane design .. if you design it to withstand a crash it will fly so bad it probably will

thank you for the input .. while i wont start this project without plans from an NA .. i wish to design it and have a NA review and improve my initial design

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.