Question: 17 ounce (no mat) biax, over mat with polyester?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Pylasteki, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Pylasteki

Pylasteki Junior Member

Hi Guys,

I'm getting ready to put a new cockpit into my sailboat using polyester. I'm laminating up some full size 4x8 sheets and use it like plywood. I cut down my last roll of 1708 to fiberglass in some toe rails on another job, so it is no longer a full 50 inches...

I'm curious if there are any any reasons not to use 17 ounce with no mat backer over a layer of wet mat, other than its going to make a big mess? :D

I have a roll of 1700 biax (no mat), a roll of 3/4 ounce mat, and a roll of 1 1/2 mat and don't really want to buy 1708 just for this job, unless 1700 can't be used with poly even if bedded down into mat.

Thanks

Zach

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It shouldn't make a mess. You can laminate the fabric to the mat. If you use a finished surface to lay the laminate (formica) it will have a nice finish that will require little work.

3. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

You can use the 1700 with a separate layer of mat, putting the two together in one product is just for convenience.

4. Pylasteki

Pylasteki Junior Member

Thanks for the replies, I had never heard of a reason not to do it... but also never heard of anyone doing it either so didn't know if it was kosher. Grin.

Thanks,

Zach

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Typically, it's an alternating mat/roving laminate so the interlaminte bonds are good. Depending on your schedule, you'll need a lot of material to work like plywood (self supporting, stiff, strong and fairly light). Used in this fashion, you'll likely need a core (foam, honeycomb, etc.), to keep weight down and dramatically improve stiffness.

6. Pylasteki

Pylasteki Junior Member

Yup, I have some 3/4 divinycell I'm going to use... just giving it a go with polyester instead of epoxy, that I'm much more familiar with.

Thanks,

Zach

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.