Skiffs & Dinghies profiles & dimensions database

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by heycaptaingg, Jul 28, 2022.

1. heycaptaingg

heycaptaingg Junior Member

Hello,
    I would like to study different skiffs or Dinghy daggerboard performances and I'm searching for 3D models or at least detailed profiles & dimensions from daggerboards of :
    • RS 400/700/800
    • 49er / 29er
    • VX Evo
    • I14
    • Cherubs
    • First 14
    Any suggestions on how I could get this?

2. rnlock

rnlock Senior Member

I went and checked a few class rules to see what they said about board shape. So far, I only found some for the 470, which were not terribly specific except for which part of the board should be flat.
    World Sailing - World Sailing Classes https://www.sailing.org/our-sport/world-sailing-classes/
    https://d7qh6ksdplczd.cloudfront.net/sailing/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/19014213/470_CR_20220201.pdf specs for centerboard start at page 25, but they seem to leave a lot of room for messing around with the leading and trailing edges, depending on just what they mean by "beveled". A leading edge cross section that's a half an ellipse is probably pretty good. Or maybe parabolic. I would be quite surprised if a fair number of 470 boards have elliptical leading edges as far back as permitted, and straight taper as far forward as permitted for the trailing edge. Presumably, there would be a small radius where the taper starts, and the trailing edge would be squared off at some reasonable thickness. I'll bet a bunch of other class rules require boards that are mostly flat like this.

Other than that, I haven't seen anything yet, though I'm sure a fair number of daggerboards are NACA 0010 or 0012

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.