Qualifications for a small craft design business?

Discussion in 'Education' started by sadornati, Dec 24, 2020.

1. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

The intent is clear to me, but attorneys seem to specialize in declarifying. I think it could have been better written, and doesn't make much sense anyway. Why 200 feet? A more logical cutoff would be 24 meters, (load line requirements kick in here), but that doesn't make any sense either in terms of what is difficult to engineer and represents a danger to the public. My main issue is that it certainly doesn't do anything to make commercial fishing any safer, and I would hate to see a completely untrained person do 46 CFR 28.500 analyses, for example, or an OPA 90 study on an oil barge.

The arguments made in the legislature at the time also included issues of "engineering" as a part of physical work, which further muddies the waters. However, yacht design has always been exempt (even in Washington state) on an argument that it is not engineering in the intent of public protection. To (sort of ) quote a person on one of the state boards; "I don't care if you perform CFD studies or sacrifice a goat to the gods of fluid dynamics, if it isn't an analysis using specialized knowledge required by law for public safety, it isn't engineering in the intent of the laws." Yachts only require simple tests to meet the requirements of the law, essentially similar to the building code for small structures (which don't require an architect).

The Maine rule only addresses practice regulation as well, not title regulation, so using the "E-word" in advertising, etc. is still not allowed without licensure. If "naval architecture" is not a title in the Maine statutes, then it is allowed, however.

So, anyone can offer to design boats and even ships (in other than Washington and Oregon, and then only as part of certain regulated criteria) without any qualifications as long as they don't offer services called "engineering" or use titles that imply offering engineering services. However, they should also be independently wealthy.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.