Rebuilding a 350 small block with Berkeley jet

Discussion in 'Gas Engines' started by ejkob, Mar 28, 2008.

1. ejkob

ejkob New Member

I have a 72 Glastron 18.5ft fiberglass classic with a small block 350 and a JCB Berkeley jet drive. I have been in the process of restoring the boat and this year I want to rebuild the motor. I plan on replacing the old Rochester qudrajet carb with a new Holley. Last year at the upper end of the throttle, the motor acted like it was missing or starving for fuel. For now, I am looking at a 600 CFM but I am being told that the Holley replacement for a Qjet is 650 to 750CFM. Can someone quide me as to the correct carb to get and as I rebuild the motor, what CAM should I consider to power the jet. After all the work is complete, should I change back to the stock A impeller?

Thanks

2. pila

pila Junior Member

I would think that the camshaft selection would depend on the max RPM it's supposed to run at, in order to get in the power band the suits the boat and the jet etc.
    I wasn't aware that there were Q-JETS much smaller than 650 cfm, although some auto V6s may have used small ones.
    I have a Holley on one of my boats that I replaced a Q-jet with, but I had the carb, new in the box and bolted it on. Not a good carb for my use, as it's way too much, but works good with the secondarys disconnected.
    Getting the same type carb you had may be the way to go, like a rebuilt one from a marine supplier, and not from Joe's garage. Specs for marine carbs may not always be available to set one up after rebuilding it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.