Quadmaran project stability

Discussion in 'Stability' started by ayozeK, Sep 26, 2016.

1. CT249

CT249 Senior Member

What is an "epoxy shaped room with common furniture?"

I thought the concept of an extremely thick styrofoam core was tried in the late '60s/early '70s and then abandoned because it doesn't work as well as thinner cores?

How heavy and strong are the "bended aluminium pipes"?

What does the desalination plant weigh? What happens if it breaks down?

2. ayozeK

ayozeK Junior Member

I said I don't want common furniture but a well shaped interior with built-in furniture similar to competition boats to reduce weight.

Thanks for the info, I guess if it was discarded because it reduced available space in small boats, I just think that today's price of styrofoam beads against high density foam is an advantage, also it can be easily shaped with CNC molds and it gives insulation.

Thanks for the question, competition roll cages are made of steel or chromoly, I suposse I must use steel rather than aluminum.

It has a low weight and less if using solar panels instead a generator. I if breaks down there's a backup smaller deposit.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Competition boats don't have much of an interior. At most they have minimal bunks and a head.
    Chromoloy corrodes easily, so it is not the best material for a boat. You need to compare the desired structural characteristics vs weight for different materials.

4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Being a passenger ship, which must comply with SOLAS, the use of certain materials in certain areas of the structure, is very limited. What materials do you mean?

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The ones you mentioned.

6. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I have not mentioned any material.
    Do not avoid the answer.
    You know what SOLAS requires as structural fire protection ?. Surely not. So better you studie SOLAS before insinuating that can be used various building materials. Once you know the SOLAS, please tell us all what materials you mean. Thanks.

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The SOLAS regulation II-2/Regulation 17, “Alternative design and arrangements”, along with supporting MSC/Circ. 1002 entered into force on July 1, 2002, allows a methodology to be used for alternative design and arrangements for fire safety.
    In other words, any material or design can be submitted for approval.

8. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Surprising interpretation of SOLAS :D
    But, of course you are right, you can submit anything. Get the homologation as "A-60" partition ?. Aaah!!, that's another thing.
    By the way, I recommend reading the SOLAS 2009 not to become obsolete.