Q. Lines-planes form AutoCAD to Maxsurf ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by cmcguinness, Dec 6, 2004.

1. cmcguinness

cmcguinness Junior Member

Dear all, (Andrew)

I’ve been trying to import a file from AutoCAD into Maxsurf for the passed few weeks as part of my final year project within a BEng (Hons) Marine Technology degree at the University of Plymouth, U.K. This has proved difficult and very time consuming.

I can manage to get some backgrounds imported into the ‘perspective’ window of Maxsurf, but not very convincingly because may scale tends to be a messed up as well.

Please find attached(not attached here, only at support@formsys.com ) the lines-plan file of the vessel I’m trying to generate within Maxsurf, in order to carry out the usual Seakeeping and Resistance data acquisition, which I have no problem with, due to plenty of practices.

What I’ve been trying;

1. Selecting each view separately.
    2. Making sure I get rid of all unwanted line and keeping only what’s necessary.
    3. Then saving theses in dxf format.
    4. Opening theses file now within Maxsurf – File -- Import -- DXF Background – Default wire frame box (o.k. that)……can only get partial stuff in Maxsurf etc
    5. From there I’m lost? (Maybe start adding surfaces )

I believe I have to select each view individually

I would be grateful is someone could highlight the steps and iterations which are necessary to generate a 3D model within Maxsurf from AutoCAD? If there was a set procedure I could follow it etc.

I’ve printed off the entire manual from the Maxsurf website but none seen to comprehensively cover or provided a tutorial example for this area.

Regards

cmcguinness

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.