CAD design

Discussion in 'Software' started by Harry Kosta, May 28, 2009.

1. Harry Kosta

Harry Kosta Aussie

I would like to find out where I can optain aluminium cad drawn hull designs so
    I can cut them my self .
    I dont want supplied kits as they are to expensive.
    I have cutting facilities in sydney.
    Im over hand cutting hull shapes from line drawings.:(

Thank you
    Hazza

2. raw

raw Senior Member

Hazza,

I do this kind of work on a regular basis. Depending on the type of vessel you are looking at, I may be able to help.

Qualified NA. Also Australian based. Send a message if interested.

Raw.

3. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Nearly any yacht designer who sells his stock plans for metal boats via internet can give you what you need.
    They usually try to sell you a kit first, they can earn more by selling you a kit, but if you tell them that you want only drawings and cutting plans for CNC cutters, they will send you just that.

4. alidesigner

alidesigner Senior Member

You say youre over cutting by hand so I assume you are a builder.

The reason most designers sell kits is to try and protect their copyright and ensure that they get a small share of the profit for every boat sold, so you will find that the mark up on materials is quite small. (But even that doesnt stop some builders copying designs to mylars)

If you are prepared to pay a royalty per boat then there will be plenty of experienced designers willing to work with you, but if you want to pay once for the cutting files so you can build an unlimited number of boats then you will probably struggle to find one.

Quite often boat buyers ring designers first to get the design they want and then ask us to recommend a builder. So if you develop a relationship with a designer then they will refer work to you, so paying royalties can generate more work for you in the long run.

I can think of a couple builders over here that didnt want to pay for kits, they eventually ran out of work and shut shop, meanwhile designers were struggling to find builders and were getting boats built overseas (they wouldnt buy from us so we wouldnt send them any work - that's fair enough).

So I would recommend that you think of the bigger picture and find a designer that can supply kits at a fair price and develop a long term working relationship that benefits you both.

Remember, everyone needs to earn a living.

5. Harry Kosta

Harry Kosta Aussie

Thanks for the replies guys.
    Alidesigner your words are true.
    I did some thinking today regarding this issue:idea: .
    I have received pricing on designs supplied only ,fair price ,one cut only coded.
    Worked out my material list and pricing$XXX.
    I will gladly pay up-to and under a grand from my calculated pricing of the above for a complete cut kit.
    It will save me phone calls e-mails etc.
    But in a such a competitive market that is booming in glass sales ,pricing of
    glass is in-par and under on alloy build .Why wouldn't I like to safe between $1000-$2000.I will gladly pay my royalties.
    Clients will to anything to save $2000 of the price.
    I'm still on the look out for good designs and fair pricing.
    To much to look at ,not enough time:confused:

Hazza

6. alidesigner

If you are talking about boats say 5-7m then you should be able to get kits with royalties well within your price range. However make sure the designer only cuts what is needed and minimises marking and labelling - marking is expensive. Some try to make the kits idiot proof which is over the top and too expensive for a professional builder. Same for drawings. Dont pay for drawings you dont need.

Make sure they use pressings where ever possible to minimise your weldling. Also make sure the kit is designed to go together in a way that is right for your build method, eg pull up or upside down jigged.

You need to ask them lots of questions to make sure they understand how builders work. You also need to make sure they can give you the info you need for builders plate calc's.

The best way to take on the glass boys is to offer customisation, so you need to work with a designer that can quickly modify the kit based on your customers wants, and quickly get drawings to you that you can give to your prospective clients.

I would love to work with you on this one but I am going overseas soon and wont be back until Aug - but if you're not in a hurry feel free to PM me.

7. alidesigner

I forgot, also ask them about how they adjust the hull plates for thickness (a couple of mm here and there can quickly turn into a 10mm gap), how they check for plate developability, where they do and dont include green, how they deal with buckling control and of course get some references.

8. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

I think alidesigner summed it up very well in #4.

Everyone is after a fast buck and won't look at the bigger picture. I have several enquires for "off the shelf designs" in kit form. These "fly-by night" guys just want the cut-part data, nowt else...and it is clear what their MO is. Yet oddly enough when I've had bigger projects come along with a different client, there is no question of paying for the 'design data'.

Penny wise pound foolish!

9. Harry Kosta

Harry Kosta Aussie

I hope your not referring that I'm after fast money Mr Hoc.
    Because after running my work shop for the last 18 years fast money doesn't
    exist.
    I'm not intrested in basic designed boats,but where I live and work (close to botany bay)most newbie boat buyers only consider the $, that means basic/good designs at a fair price.I need to have that option available to me.
    Where i can safe,the happier my clients will be
    My interest is in concept designs and out of the ordinary hull/deck shapes.
    I rather build it first then sell it.Better than having a client on top of your head bucking you during work hours.LOL.
    I will try and posts photos of my current projects to share with you guys.

Hazza

10. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Harry
    I don't know you from a bar of soap, so I cannot comment which 'group' you fall into.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.