Traditional Dhow design?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Guillaume C., Dec 11, 2009.

1. Guillaume C.

Guillaume C. Junior Member

Hello, does anyone know an architect or builder who have made a Dhow (traditional arabian and african sailboat) ? Alternatively some chinese junk have lot of similarities so I would be interested too.

The project is vague for now but I'm looking to build a traditional looking dhow but with modern wood&epoxy method, likely radius chine plywood

2. dskira

dskira Previous Member

The project must be very vague since the Dhow and the Junk are a totally different type of vessel without any ressemblance nor origin.
    I suggest some serious research about these wunderful vessel before starting.
    If you don't you will end up with a catamaran from Polynesia rigged as full ship.
    Just kidding.
    Good luck
    Cheers
    Daniel

3. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

i cant be sure but i think colin mudie or laurent giles designed one some years ago

4. Guillaume C.

Guillaume C. Junior Member

Thanks Peter, I'll look for their work

Daniel, I dont see why you say they dont have any ressemblance, they both are traditional wooden ship still being built, in similar size and for similar purpose, their forms are certainly more similar than with any other type of ship (I'am looking for a Shu'ai type of dhow, wich just like some junks have a high freeboard toward stern, flat and angled back transom, angled bow, 1 to 3 relatively low mast, etc... two different boat for sure, but some hull shape and scantling for construction could be usefull if I dont find infos directly for dhow

ps: sorry for my not-so-good english

5. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

6. yipster

yipster designer

long long time ago i saw those dow's build on a street corner in hurghada egypt
    it was than a very small village with one small 10 room hotel on the beach giving diving lessons
    now hurghada has its own tourist airport(s) but i guess no streetcorner dow builds anymore
    very similar as in Peters pic above it looked to me at the time they nailed away from experience
    in arab i could only count to ten so had problems inquiring on the dows

7. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Don't bother with your english, mine is not better :D
    You should realy make a serius research of the two kind of boat and you will see the difference. Your similitude are good for any boat. Dhow and Junk are very different. I let you discovering that, it is interresting, and don't make assumption on some impression, but go further, be curius be an historien, see the why they hare different, the purpose and evolution of each, the sails, the rigging, the construction, the wood, the ballasting, the manning. History and difference of ship of different countries is more that some dimensions. It is realy interresting. Be curius. Research. Go to the librairy, work on that. The answer never come just like that, you have to work to have your answer, and then the light will come :idea:
    Cheers
    Daniel

8. Alik

Alik Senior Member

I have seen 120' Dhows in wood, and new ones built in FRP. Definitely one won't get too much info on forum, it is better to fly to Middle Eastand visit some their builders...

9. dskira

dskira Previous Member

I think it is a great advise. Get in touch with Alik and follow is advise Guillaume. :)
    Cheers
    Daniel

10. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

johnowen2.tripod.com/dhows.html

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.