Glad to be here and seeking exp. with coppercoat on alu

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Lendenbesten, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Lendenbesten

Lendenbesten New Member

Hi,
    Len, 52 years old, retired and together with my wife living aboard a Reinke 15M, an alu cutter-sloop. Glad to be here.

I am considering putting a real good antifouling on the bottom before leaving for warm waters: coppercoat.
    Cause, when applied, it's a non-conductive layer, I would say (but as you see I am not fully convinced yet) it's safe to put on a alu hull.
    Any experiences, views here?
    Any response is appreciated.

Fair winds, Len.

2. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Len
    Check with the manufacterer as for suitability. In general so long as it's copper oxide you'll be safe.

Good luck

3. hartley

hartley Junior Member

coppercoat on alu

Len ....I guess you are refering to what we here (in Australia) call Aluminium
    or in some cases just Alloy ,the manufacture"s of a "Coppercoat" bottom paint here namely International Paints state "do not use on aluminium"
    International Paints is ,as far as i know called interlux in the USA.You possibly
    have something different in your neck of the woods ,however in my oipinion i would not put anything containing copper anywhere near aluminium ......cheers

4. Lendenbesten

Lendenbesten New Member

Hartley,

Thanks for replying.
    Yep, the hull is made of aluminium, Al Mg 4,5 Mn.
    I do not refer to coppercoat by International. If you like you can visit www.coppercoat.com. It's a non conductive layer of epoxy with tiny particles of pure copper mixed into it. When you place a Ohm-meter at two point, very close to each other there is infinite resistance.

I hear the negative advice everywhere, but I would like to know what it actually is based on. I can understand International saying nono cause they prefer to sell me their Trilux33, a copperthiocyanate but this is (as I read the reports) not nearly as effective as Coppercoat.

I spoke to a corrosion advisory board, a body financed by the total metal and elector-industry in the Netherlands.After explaining my problem/question these people asked me why I was afraid of galvanic corrosion when coppercoat had been applied on the alu hull.
    I started to explain by pointing at this bucket of salt water with a bar of aluminium and a bar of copper in it. The aluminium would start sacrifying itself in favor of the copper as a result of a current flowing from the alu (the anode in this galvanic cell) to the copper (the kathode in the cell).

At this point the fella from the corr. adv. board interrupted me and asked how this current COULD flow. He continued: in my example, the bucket with saltwater, and the two bars, there would not flow a current, and there would not be any sacrifying, anyway not until there would be a electrical, conductive connection made between the two bars, completing the circuit and enabling a current to flow.

So, with Coppercoat beingtotally non-conductive, what would be the rational, factual basis to expect galvanic corrosion?

Interested in a factual debate....

Fair winds,
    Len.

5. Richard Hillsid

Richard Hillsid Senior Member

6. hartley

hartley Junior Member

Coppercoat on alloy

Len .....I have visited coppercoat.com site .interesting concept indeed,afraid I cannot advise one way or the other,never having heard of it before,hopefully someone on this site,having used the product will come on board. However i note that the manufacturer states the product is suitable for aluminium hulls .also i know that you would realise that there are many products you can use that carry no risk whatever .Happy cruising to "warmer climes".......cheers