adhesives

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by wudenbote, Sep 22, 2008.

1. wudenbote

wudenbote Junior Member

Thanks to all who replied to my query about fresh epoxy adhering to cured epoxy. I maybe should have stated that I'm using System Three's T-88. Anyone tried this stuff for structural use? (glueing frame parts) It seems like great stuff...1 to 1 mix, very low odor and appears to be mighty tough! Anyway, what about this 3M 5200 adhesive I read about? I'm always skeptical about adhesives that are also a sealant. Is this stuff strong enough to use as a structural adhesive? I'm still toying with the idea of making some frames from this chunk of treated Southern Yellow Pine I have. I don't know what it is treated with. It's your standard modern process whatever that might be.

2. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

3m 5200 is not a structural adhesive, though there may be some special situations where it might work as such. Your situation definitely is not one of them.

Jimbo

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.