PVC Exhaust

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by Frosty, Nov 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Yeah thats about what I expected.

Its ok I knew you had nothing.

2. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

how much water sits in the elbow when the engine is idling?

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Dunno,--- there is steady flo of water out of the exhaust. It does build up and comes in a heavier gush say every 4 seconds. Normal flo I would say.

I think I know what your getting at. You are the only person that thinks they would work and have done similar yourself. Are you thinking that the design has water keeping abilities that helps to keep the bottom cool

The large dia catches the residue on shut off like a water lock but without restriction. I would guess I drain 2-3 liters.

4. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

i'm also thinking of the condensation going up into the turbo
    for longevity you need to have dry lift and the water injection below the goose/swan neck

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I hate the thought of the wet environment of a wet exhaust all a round my exhaust valves . For this reason I fresh flush and drain after each and every use.

It has an elaborate injection as a mixer. These are far superior to a simple injection.

There systems thoroughly mix water with hot gasses for a faster thorough cooling.

This part is 700 dollars for one.

Vetus sell a part that immitates a mixer elbow and is like a static turbine that fits in the exhaust to spin the water into the passing gasses.

6. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

i'm thinking remove the yanmar elbow mixer and go up dry then elbow down with a mixer, no condensation to go back to the turbo/valves and no standing water in the exhaust.
    Just remember to block the air inlet when you leave it standing a long time to prevent air flow through the engine from any overlapped valves

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

??? why disturb a good system built by Yanmar.

All engines will have overlap. Why should that be a problem.

There is no standing water in the exhaust now.

8. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

I must have read it too quickly... I missed the bit that said, 'suitable for use in a wet exhaust system'.....

9. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

The typical water injection elbow right beside the turbo is just the cheapest and simplest sytem to package an engine for the boat builders.
    You will find no such part exists on bigger more expensive engines

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I dont understand what you mean . The mixing elbow may look like the pipe fitting on top just squirts water in but it does not. The whole elbow is a water jacket and water only exits the water jacket at the absolute bottom and mixes with the water through 36o degrees of the elbow.

This is on Ebay and is 300 dollars second hand.

Attached Files:

11. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Depending in the install if the engine room gets hot and the air inlet to engine to exhaust ( or in reverse) can make a chimney you will be dragging that humid asian air through the engine, will take a while but for sure it will start to rust your valves, seats and valve stems unless your valves are inconel and have copper beryllium seats or you use it regularly.
    Marine engines rust inside quite a bit when stored but most people never see it.
    Its one of those things that most people get away with most of the time.

12. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I agree . it keeps me awake but I don't have any water in the exhausts at all it is all drained.

The exhaust outlet is in the tunnel as high as the bridge deck at least a meter above water line.

Asian air!!! its all I have.

13. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Surveyor coming to have a look while he is in the Marina in a few days he will let me know.

He is Swiss and is also an ex Captain.

Im just wondering if he does say he would accept them what difference would that make. I have a feeling you would just say he should be struck off or he is an idiot or something like.

He is a surveyor, So is his word final. Might be Thursday. Port side is still on the dock for his inspection.

14. watchkeeper

watchkeeper Previous Member

Ask marine insurance surveyor

15. FMS

FMS Senior Member

If the PVC-alone pipes had been noted as fine by a qualified marine surveyor, I would regard them the same as the absolute minimum size anchor required by the CG or the absolute minimum amount of line required aboard.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.