PVC dolly for Lazer or Zodiac

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Squidly-Diddly, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

Looks like standard wheel barrow tires and bearings.

Might be OK for towing short distances at low speeds.

I'm sure it would also float.

Boat Dolly - $100 (foster city)

Date: 2012-11-07, 3:46PM PST
    fff4n-3394021904@sale.craigslist.org[Errors when replying to ads?]
    Built to same dimensions as the Seitech Laser Dolly. Worked perfectly on my Laser at a fraction of the cost of a Seitech dolly. Heavy grade PVC construction is lightweight (weighs less than a Seitech) and functional enough to use on Zodiacs and other dinghy's.

Keywords: Laser, Sunfish, Dinghy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Its just a dollly for moving a boat around the club . I see them all the time. Cheap and practical because they dont get all rusted up after a few seasons. Bicyle wheels from a small bikes...the plastcic spoked ones...seem popular at my local club

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I would have thought that the handle on the front and not a tow ball would have been a clue .

As said a ubiquitous yacht club shifting trolly. Ingenious devices made from PVC and elbows are very clever. Ive seen some deck chairs on a boat and very nice --bit chunky but nice.

Clothes drying frames are easy along with kitchen shelves.

Perhaps not suitable for affluent America, must be bought from West Marine.

4. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

I saw the handle with no tow ball, but......

I've done and see quite a bit of towing at low speeds on low traffic streets with squirrelly rigs.

Just a little courage, common sense and caution required.

Just know all the bumps on the route, put a few brightly colored flags on the back, tie to bumper with at least two separate ropes and you are good to go.

Manually pulling even small boats on small trailers is pretty limited, especially up launch ramp.

Of course a tow-ball hitch to PVC pipe would be nice.

I could see a trailer like this being carried on top of a dingy, which in turn might be on a larger yacht, for the purpose of being able to get the boat up on dry land and hauled a short distance upon landfall rather than leaving it dockside. They got those folding transom wheels for boats with transoms, but if you don't want or can't use those this trailer might be alternative.

I'd like to see a worked-out well-designed version that can be broken down for better storage in a small boat (or garage or car boot.....or even shipping box for those who just want to buy online), without loosing too much strength or gaining too much weight, or creating any sharp corners that might damage inflatable.

5. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

We have a few of those around our club too, but the most ingenious use of something similar I have seen was a guy towing a windsurfer behind a bicycle on a PVC trailer, was moving very well too.

:cool:

6. Edsel

Edsel Junior Member

Wood would be lighter. Are these thick walled pvc pipes or plumbing grade? Bike tires would be good for a tidy concrete ramp. They'd be murder on uneven and soft bottoms.

7. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Id expect that the tubes are the heaviest schedule that the shop across the street has. The beauty of the PVC trailer is that all you need is a hack saw, sandpaper, glue and a pile of PVC from the shop across the street to build it. Same with the wheels...anything works. The dolly rigs arent meant for heavy duty hauling.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.