PVC Decking?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by etott, Mar 23, 2011.

1. etott

etott Junior Member

I am thinking of covering up the deck around the outside of my houseboat. It is fiberglass that has been patched here and there and just doesnt look that great. It does not leak anywhere, it just doesnt look nice. So I was thinking I would cover the deck with some sort of decking and align the boards so water could run off the side of the boat under the handrailing. I was thinking of using that PVC decking that is hollow?? It is light and would look great. Im just not sure how to attach it without putting screws through the deck creating leaks...

Any ideas how to fasten these so that they could be replaced in the future if necessary?

Or is there a better cover up decking out there that I am not aware of?

Thanks in advance,
    Eric

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Use an adhesive/sealant, like 3M-101.

3. etott

etott Junior Member

heres what it looks like

Attached Files:

4. PAR

Etott, while you have the energy and enthusiasm for this old houseboat of yours, get someone aboard that has a clue. A boat carpenter or surveyor can look over your boat, tell you what's wrong (the picture in the other thread suggests you have many issues) and can help plot a course of action.

About your PVC decking. Get some fish guts and spill it on the decking, then try to walk around on it. If it passes this test, you might be onto something, except for one thing. The plastic decking material will trap moisture between it and what ever it's attached to, so cleaning, wood rot, debris, smells, etc. can accumulate under it. If it was removable, then you can incorporate it into your maintenance routine to prevent problems from becoming issues. As a rule simple is best and attaching thing to decks is problematic at best. Some things are required and heavily bedded, such as cleats, winches, etc., but other things such as imitation decking products should be best left to the land based arenas, it was intended to serve.

5. etott

etott Junior Member

So, in other words the only way to make it look nice would be to lay another layer of fiberglass over the entire deck to make it all look the same?? I estimate the deck at about 200 sq ft. Maybe a layer of fiberglass would be the cheapest anyway?? Thanks

6. etott

etott Junior Member

when teak decking is put in place doesnt that in fact create these same area for moisture and debris?

7. PAR

You likely don't need more 'glass on your deck Etott, though fairing and possably repairs might be necessary. Naturally, you'd need to have this evaluated, so you know which way to go. In fact, with some clever use of tape and a skim coat of epoxy, you could simulate caulk lines in your deck, that after painting would be hard to tell their not wood.

Teak decks are done a few different ways, most are screwed down, into a bedding compound and have fastener heads bunged. Others are purely glued in place, which is typical of a veneer style decking. Still others are fastened from below, which has added benefits.

As a rule teak decks fail because the fasteners get loose and let moisture into the substrate, which of course rots out the usual substrate choices. Glued down veneers and fastened from below decking treatments, survive better because of fastener exposure levels. My point is, you need to have your boat evaluated by someone who knows about the procedures, techniques, common difficulties and issues. With this in hand, you can formulate a priority list and establish a plan of action, that best addresses the multiple issues your boat has. It's not you or your boat, as all boats have issues, much like me if you ask my other half.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.