mold thickness

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by JEFFHEENAN, Oct 28, 2015.

1. JEFFHEENAN

JEFFHEENAN Junior Member

Hello, my question is how many layers of 1.5 0z should I make my mold? It is a 16 ft driftboat plug. How many layers can I apply at a time?

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

It would be good to know how you built your mold, loads must withstand, how you intent reinforce it, and how many times you need to use it.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  3. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Jeffheenan,

You need to talk to your resin supplier, you may like to consider an alumina trihydrate filled resin system, they come highly recomended as a time saver especially for a small vessel.
    Otherwise you need to start with tooling gelcoat then surface tissue on the same day then a layer of 3/4 split strand chop the next then no more that two layers of 450gsm per day... until you have about 2.5-3 times the glass content of a finished hull.... you can after about 2700gsm lay some coremat or upica then same amount of laminate less the tissue & 3/4 split... then you need to frame up... along the keel, chines(if present- or bilge & sheer... try to avoid transverse framing in contact with exterior of tooling or minimise to light tabbing. There is your layup schedule to consider & if you need to employ split tooling or a have a rolling frame incorperated esp for ergonomics.

Jeff.

4. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Are you making the mold, or the plug? I wasn't 100% sure from your question.

There is more to making a mold or plug than just how many layers of mat to use. Is this going to be a long term production mold, or a short term for you and a couple of buddies type thing?