PVA over Semipermanent Mold Release

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by jasonkempenaar, Mar 18, 2006.

1. jasonkempenaar

jasonkempenaar New Member

Does anyone know if you can Wax and PVA over the top of Semipermanents? We used some Chemlease 41-90 on our plug and it did not release our small test piece probably because we did not use any sealer first. PVA is the only thing available locally so we would like to just wax over the top of the 41-90 and then apply pva. I have been told to make sure PVA and 41-90 are compatible, but since the test piece stuck my guess is the probaby is not much residual left from the 4190 so we can probably wax over it anyways.

2. tja

tja Senior Member

Tja

You don't have to sealer 15 before using 4190. Was the mold clean and wax free before applying the 4190? How maney coats did you put on? How did you apply it and how long between coats and how long before gelcoating? What was the temp of your shop during aplication? Give me details and i can probably tell you what went wrong. I use PMR and 4190 exclusively. Tom.

3. jasonkempenaar

jasonkempenaar New Member

Well we started with a brand new male plug that was coated in duratec and sanded to a fine finish with 600 grit san paper. We cleaned the surface with acetone. Then we first tried to apply the 41-90 using a paint gun for about 4 coats, but we did not like the results. So we then applied 3 more coats using 2 lint free cotton cloth one with 4190 on it and the other dry following to wipe excess. We waited 10 min between coats and over a half hour before applying the epoxy surface coat. It was fairly cold and humid when we applied it... in the 60's.

My guess is we may not have put it on heavy enough, but im not sure. Also we are not putting a gelcoat over it. We are using an epoxy surface coat. If we can get the 4190 to work well use it, otherwise well probably just use pva because we are only pull one part off the mold. Also we tried the tape test and it did not seem different after we applied the 4190.

4. tja

tja Senior Member

Tja

Give me a call. 330-453-9168 there is too much to cover in an email. Tom.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.