PVA in wooden plank boat construction ?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by mustafaumu sarac, Jan 15, 2018.

1. mustafaumu sarac

mustafaumu sarac Senior Member

For gluing wooden planks , is there pva glue been used in wooden boat construction ?

Umut
    Istanbul

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I am sure it was used in boats that sunk. That is only adequate for indoor use in dry areas.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

There are some PVA's used in boat building including planking though most all, employ a sheathing to provide waterproofing and abrasion resistance. Some PVA's are type 1 WBP rated, but just barely and they still suffer from joint creep and deformation when wet. The type 1 PVA's do hold up against occasional moisture, but not so much against soaking and aren't recommended for extended underwater applications. For trailer borne craft, this can be used successfully, such as light strip planked projects (for example), which will spend only a few hours or even a day afloat, before being returned for a good dry out on it's trailer.

4. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

I've seen canoes and similar with a core of strip planking glued with PVA. The strip planking core was sheathed with fiberglass on both sides. My guess is with the fiberglass sheathing in place the load on the glue was small. Also as PAR noted these were boats which were usually kept out of the water.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.