Put new finish to the interior?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by andysailor, Dec 2, 2018.

1. andysailor

andysailor Junior Member

The boat is under a major refit in Mexico (so yes, supplies and what needs to be found are limited). The exterior is more or less done and on the interior I have replaced some bulkheads and part of bulkheads. What can I say...the boat look like **** right now and a total make over is a must.

My plan is/was to glue formica to the bulkheads. I have also had some loose ideas combining different materials. Maybe pvc foam sheets (can find in 1mm thickness and up) with some part of formica. I want to give the interior a bright and light look. How would you think it would look? Maybe with the white foam board as a base and wide panels 40-50 cm wide panels on top)? Or shall I just go with either of em? I have also found some 1mm veneer n 240 x 60cm sheets, if it is easier/harder to work with). There is a headliner, which will cover edges, so no perfect match is needed.

Give me some inspiration and ideas, please :)
    How would spray adhesive like 3M 77 or 90 work with this kind of project?

2. JamesG123

JamesG123 Senior Member

Just remember to keep in mind future access behind them.

3. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

I'll second JamesG123,
    Just remember to keep in mind future access behind them.

I would not trust 3M 77 or 90. There won't be sufficient contact aria between the sheet of Formica and your bulkhead. Contact cement is usually a good choice with Formica, if it can be applied thick enough to compensate for the slightly un-fairness of the bulkhead. I have yet to see bulkhead to hull tabbing faired truely flat.

I am included to paint. Been doing it professionally for decades. I associate Formica with cheap bathrooms. I would not want to spend my leisure time in a truck stop john.

4. andysailor

andysailor Junior Member

Have anyone tried vinyl wraps, like 3M Di-noc? Would that be a better way to go with than formica? I understand the surface needs tp be even more perfect, so yes, more preparation. And if so, is there a good vinyl material that works, but is cheaper than Di-noc?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.