Put Blue Sea ANF fuse holder under battery box lid?

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by sdowney717, Aug 2, 2021.

1. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

I also have the clear plastic cover for the fuse holder, and a rubber boot for the terminal. just not bothering to take it in the picture yet. But when it is on boat, I can show another photo also with my battery tray.

2. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

AFAIK, Bussman makes the Blue Sea ANL fuses and only those 2 are IP.
    Bussman look identical to Blue Sea.
    Buying a cheap ANL fuse off Ebay is not IP.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Even the expensive ones from companies like Littlefuse don't say they are rated ignition protected.

4. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

Yeah, since it would be a selling point, if they dont say they are, then they are not IP.

5. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

This is my wood battery tray box I made decades ago.
    It worked ok without using plastic battery boxes, batteries sat in it and I bolted wood bars across to hold them down.
    When I got new batteries, my attachment system would not longer work, so decided to get plastic boxes, but then the Camco double box is right now unobtanium, been 2 months since I ordered it, and Amazon extended the order another 2 months.
    So I am forced to modify the existing tray setup to accommodate batteries alone and batteries in plastic boxes. Simply removing the side and putting it in the middle solved the fitment problem. In order to use the box top, battery had to be slid over or it hit the golf cart batteries. The golf cart plastic box is taller, and with the ability to slide over the starter box, should fit it's lid on fine with the lid on the starter box. We'll see someday.

I plan to rope tie the golf cart batteries down. Drill holes in the front and back sides and pass lines across battery tops and cinch them tight to the wood box. Then put wood spacer to keep batteries from sliding around. The tops of the golf cart batteries has a lot of things sitting there, so cant use wood bars across the top. I cant make the wood box any wider than it is. The raw water intake engine pump hoses run right next to the box and the engine stringers.

I suppose could have just used lines to hold down the new golf cart batteries and not bother with plastic boxes at all like before. But I found the boxes cheap, so went with it.
    But that forced changes.

20210826_074735.jpg 20210826_074748.jpg

6. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

I suppose another possibility would be cut SS straps to hold batteries down. But that is hard work to cut SS 304. I do have a bunch of scrap SS here 0.080 thick sheet.
    I made these recently from my replaced Bennet trim tabs for framing my hatch Lexan window, and if you have ever done this, you will know how hard SS is to work.

The old tabs got too corroded. SS 304 under salt water corrodes in very odd ways. Parts will be ok, and parts channeled and pitted. My new tabs I made from 316 SS sheet and 316 ss rivets myself
    Album here of that. https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ax4QVPPdfMW16VGo9

20210826_082400.jpg

7. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

I hate metal straps on batteries. They can be made with fiberglass. The metal ones are too easy to short across terminals. It isn't about abyc, but good sense.

8. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

Sure, but you can always wrap with tape, and then heat shrink the entire length. I am not going to make them, just not worth the effort.

9. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

How would you heat shrink? Is there a tape that is shrinkable?

10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

11. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

The biggest heat shrink I have is 1.5" tube. I can get it in 4 foot length sections.
    It comes in a pack of various sizes. A SS flat bar I found here would use 1" heat shrink tube. S0 I don't have to cut a piece of SS to do this if I want. If I did this, I would wrap the bar in blue painters tape, then heat shrink over top. The tape would smooth the metal edges so the heat shrink rubber won't be working against a sharper edge, just another layer of protection. I have found the blue painters tape (bought at HDepot) does not dry up like masking tape does. I can remove it years later and the paper and adhesive are almost like new. The heat shrink tubing I can buy at Harbor Freight, comes in white boxes shrink wrapped together and it was real nice to work with. But I have not been to HFreight in a few years, I assume they still have it.

12. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member