volvo 280 vrs 290dp

Discussion in 'Gas Engines' started by blink2u, May 14, 2010.

1. blink2u

blink2u Junior Member

I have a 25ft sports fisher,in need of a refit,it has a volvo 280 leg ,with low hours on recent work done,but the 350 has to be replaced.I want to get any input on whether there would be any advantage to changing the 280leg up to the 290dp?Will there be enough performance improvement,that would offset the initial purchase cost of a used 290 assembly,and can the 290dp assembly be re and re'd into a 280 application ?any ideas would be appreciated!

2. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

definately better performance, i fitted a duoprop onto one of my 280 legs, the best about was the improvement in steering,

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You would have to use the boat for hundreds of hours before you even broke even. The main difference is that you don't get the prop torque steering the boat sideways when you accelerate hard.

4. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

you don't have to buy new, the used unit i bought was quite reasonbly priced.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.