Pure theorycrafting?

Discussion in 'Forum Questions and Suggestions' started by gunship, Jun 27, 2010.

1. gunship

gunship Senior Member

So, I'm not a serious boat designer in the sense that i do not build anything, and everything I draw is pureley for my own satisfaction. i like to design a boat that fits my needs perfectly, and since the needs are always changing, there is alot of fun work to do here.

often when i ask questions, people always approach my ideas and problems with a sometimes too realistic approach, such as "no yard would like to make it that way because XXX" or "how do you plan on welding this? it would require special blalbalba", eg. questions that is perfectly valid if it was a REAL boat i was designing. however, i'm not, and i think there are sevral here who might want to do simple sketches, discuss ideas and concepts, or entire dreamboats. so maybe a section for that?

2. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

Why not just post them in the Boat Design forum? I'm not sure any concept or idea is too strange for this site--I recall one thread that took paddlewheels from the 1800s to some pretty impressive-sounding 21st-century refinement.

I'm not a serious boat designer either. Heck, I can't master the arithmetic adequately to consider myself even an amateur boat designer. But I like 'em, I enjoy patching them (and making a few minor mods), and I appreciate learning things from discussions revolving around design concepts. Paddlewheels, bow bulbs, shark bumps, Kort nozzles, it's all good.

< Sail Design and Building Forum | Blocking posts? >
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.