Rode

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by DanBlack, Jul 1, 2015.

1. DanBlack

DanBlack Junior Member

I hope somebody can advise me on this. I was always under the impression the more rode you put out the better. Assuming you have space. I seem to also recall reading somewhere that putting out to much can be detrimental. We have a little wind predicted in a couple of days (30 knots). Would feel much better knowing I am doing the right thing.
    Thanks

2. AndySGray

AndySGray Senior Member

I was always taught the rule of thumb was 3 to 5 times depth for rode + chain and 4 - 7 for rode alone, ideally twice as much rode as chain. beyond 10:1 there is no practical advantage.

Yes, more rode will improve anchor performance, but think about other factors too - could you deploy a bigger / heavier anchor. Chain is always a compromise - you want it heavy for anchoring and light for storage.

If the setup is not good, a long rode will act like a spring rather than a shock absorber and allow too much momentum to build before snubbing the boat with a jerk, then repeating.

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Is rode the same stuff the hangman uses ?

4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I live not far from Rode Road, but there is no spelling error in it, it is named after an early German settler. :D

5. snowbirder

snowbirder Previous Member

10:1 is ideal, assuming you have the space for it. It's also easily calculated by tired sailors.

In in crowded anchorages, 5:1 is the absolute, bare minimum.

You won't catch me on anything less than 7:1.

If an anchorage is too crowded for my desired scope, I anchor outside of it in more wave action. Better to bounce around a bit than be under scoped when the big gusts come up.

Note: I wouldn't even think about boating without chain in part of my rode, unless it's a tiny little think and you're stopping for lunch.

Typically, my rode is 100 or 200ft of chain, plus another 100-200' of rope rode. Anchor shackle (pin seized with monel wire) and proper, resetting type anchor. (never a Danforth unless you are staying awake).

I also use a snubber system in shallow waters when on all chain. In deep water, when I'm into the rope rode, the rope becomes its own snubber.

Setup on current boat (catamaran):

80lbs Manson Supreme
    Witchard shackle, one size up... max size to fit pin through chain
    100' 3/8" G4 HT chain (keeping weight down)
    200' 3/4 quality nylon rope rode
    30' snubber system with rubber shock absorbers, chain hooks

Using this type of system, I've been anchor drag free for well over a decade. I also spend every night at anchor, so that's a lot. Bedn through a few named storms with this setup as well.

6. DanBlack

DanBlack Junior Member

I have 175m of 12mm chain. With lots of room. Can I put out too much?

7. snowbirder

snowbirder Previous Member

Assuming a bottom that's not likely to foul your chain, no... you can't put out too much.

In moderate weather, when you drop a lot of chain, you will notice the anchor does nothing with the chain itself holding your boat in place.

8. JSL

JSL Senior Member

If your rode is rope and chain (joined with a shackle), slipping a kellet (a sentinel) on the rode will increase its catenary, improving the holding power.

9. DanBlack

DanBlack Junior Member

I am a very big fan of a sentinel, but it is not needed here.
    The boat is about 75 tons, and we are in only about 6m of water. I have about 60m of chain out now, but I will put out another 20

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.