pump vibration at higher rpm

Discussion in 'Jet Drives' started by hands87, Aug 7, 2006.

1. hands87

hands87 New Member

I have mounted my motor and connected the universal shaft. I have taken it out for a test launch and it idles fine but when I start to lay into the throttle it starts to vibrate from what seems to be the pump and the boat does not pick up speed. Could it be that the motor and the pump are not exactly inline and if so is there any way to adjust the shaft of the pump without making new motor mounts? The pump is a berkley. Any help would be great.

2. Riverjet502

Riverjet502 Junior Member

I am betting that you have a small rock? twig? or other junk caught in your impeller vane(s). It doesn't take much to throw the impeller out of balance. Shine a flash light up under your pump intake and look at your impeller. Open up your hand hole clean out and feel the impeller vanes with your hand. If it is your H bar u-joint set up it will shake the whole boat and this can sound like it is coming from the pump.

3. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

universals will commonly shake, I would first try to get the drive in line as far as possible

4. Poida

Poida Senior Member

G'day Lazy me mate.

It looks like that was posted nearly a year ago. Think he might have found the problem by now.

Poida

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.