I would like to introduce myself

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by boltonprofiles, Oct 28, 2005.

1. boltonprofiles

boltonprofiles Senior Member

Hello everyone,

I am a newcomer to this forum and you guys certainly know your stuff - I have been suitably impressed (and that takes a lot).
    I have to defend myself straight away by saying yes I run a steel profiling Company and obviously have a commercial interest, BUT, I am from Ayr in Scotland and have lived by the sea and have sailed all my life (I can't remember not sailing, or powerboating or generally messing about on the water in some form - I love it).
    Therefore, my heart is genuinely in the right place and I have a real interest in all boats, I am not just another sales/commercial punter which I hope I can show over time.
    Although my knowledge is very limited to many of you in comparison and steel profiling is not rocket science, I can perhaps be of some use technically regarding the profiling or steel side and I am a Civil Engineer.

Please do not judge me solely on the commercial aspect but rather as a genuine enthusiast who will help anyone if I can possibly do so.

I look forward to a long association with you all.

Paul.

2. harlemriverman

harlemriverman Senior Member

Welcome Paul, I'm rather new here myself. As a fellow civil engineer and boating enthusiast of many smaller forms I can assure you that the most I can offer in the way of insights or expertise is a bridge of some kind, steel perhaps, and a few witticism on matters pertaining to the woes of being addicted to boating.

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Not just one, but TWO more engineers!:D Good news indeed.
    Welcome aboard, folks!

4. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

And I'll join in the welcome too Paul. Grudgingly mind, coz yer a lowland Scot....:D
    But great to have further expertise to draw upon. :)

5. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Just a minute, this can't be right! Civil and Engineers do not fit in the same sentance! without the inclusion of NOT of course!
    Bot seriously fella's (on both sides of the pond) a big welcome to ye both! Might manage to upgrade the ramblings a little wot wiff intelligent people arand - he sez hopefully!

6. boltonprofiles

Harlemriverman, marshmat, bergalia, safewalrus -

Thank you for your "kind" words of welcome, I feel right at home now (they slag me there as well).

7. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

We do tend to kid around a bit here, yes. And we're proud of it ;) (I'm in engineering myself btw.)
    I would warn you though, to stay out of the thread entitled "TP52s" if you're looking for civilized discourse. The rest of the site is pretty safe.

8. boltonprofiles

TP52s

Hello Marshmat,

Naaah - don't do civilised - it is like retirement - there is no future in it.

Civilised has never got me anywhere. Nothing wrong with a bit of cut and thrust (for fun of course).
    See what you mean about TP52s - surreal.

Speak to you soon I hope.

9. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

True Boltonprofiles, true Marshmat. I'm retired, and just look at me - writing to Boatdesign forums....:(

10. harlemriverman

harlemriverman Senior Member

Well, I don't know much about retirement but it took me a full day to get this computer going and I'm staying here and not turning the darn thing off until I'm know for certain I can turn it back on. Could be a while. Does anyone have an extension cord? Don't know this Bill Gates fella but my wife is going to give him an ear full when she sees him.

11. boltonprofiles

Hello,

I have no sympathy for you Bergalia as my own father - in - law was at sea all his life in the merchants - Tom 'Ting' Bell from Ardrossan - and he also has a hobby of baiting prospective suiters and now son - in - law for cruel and twisted pleasure at every oppertunity.
    He did not even have a Rottweiler and a shotgun till I came on the scene. We have an excellent give and take relationship, I give and he takes.
    Maybe you have come across him on your travels.

Hope your computer gets better soon Harlamriverman.

12. safewalrus

Arr!

Bolton but was 'ee a true seafarer or one of them strange chappies from down the 'pit' a plumber?

'Retired' Bergalia I thought 'ee was one of us gennlemen of the sea and said 'retarded' - oops to many eeeeeeee's in me whishkey

13. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Yes, 'Ting' "was a weel kent mannie..." in my old circles. Name still 'rings' around Kintyre, the Crinnan, Lochgilphead and Campbeltown. Probably the model for Parra Handy (he'll understand). Trust the old chap is still causing you grief. But let's be honest Bolton - even Ardrossan is considered 'Lowland' by we 'true' Highlander/Islanders...though it does make you, through kinship, slightly more acceptable.... :D

14. boltonprofiles

I would like to

Hello chaps,

Safewalrus - I do not think he has ever got his hands dirty, he would make sure someone else would instead. He definately was a 'gentleman' in this respect (still is).

Bergalia - Good grief!!! I do believe you actually do know him, well that's my credability out the window in this forum and I don't know how I am going to live with the shame!!!!
    You have a good memory for a s.s. (Stands for super sailor of course).

15. safewalrus

Bolton old chap sounds rather like a navigating type person, salt of the earth, not many of us left - kept getting lost! Bergalia has the same problem,gennelman of the sea - navigation is an art dear friend an art! Some can some can't .......now were the hell was I?:D :confused: :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.