Sourcing Teak Replacement

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Southern Cross, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Southern Cross

Southern Cross Senior Member

Apologies ahead of time. My search skills are not the best.

I have some teak trim that is mostly unnecessary. I want to remove some of it entirely and replace the rest including handrails with some sort of plastic or PVC.

My boat is an Olson 30. I've had to tend to a lot of teak in the past and I'm over it.

Any suggestions? Any manufacturers? Something resistant to the sun, won't discolor etc. I would probably have to customize some pieces such as the piece the traveler sits on....

2. Petros

Petros Senior Member

most plastics break down when exposed to sun light. ABS is supposed to be UV resistant, I would not consider anything that is not UV resistant.

Teak has a high oil content and it is supposed to be left unfinished according to some athorities. It will turn gray when exposed to sun light, which does not harm it function but does not look as good. Many will put finish on it and it will blister and peel becasue the sun breaks down the finish and it has to be stripped and re-applied. You might try putting some quality primer and than solid paint on it. It should hold up better than clear fisnish since the sun's damaging rays will not penetrate as deep as it might with a clear finish.

Painted fiberglass would also be a good alternative, the paint of course has to be UV resistant and completely cover the fiber glass. Epoxy is not UV resistant and must get either paint or protective clear finish on it to hold up.

3. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

You might consider using a piece of aluminum rectangular tube under the traveler or replace the traveler with a high profile track which doesn't need anything under it for support, there are some nice stainless steel handrails available that would look great and not need maintainance. Try to keep the weight down,its a lightweight boat.

Steve.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

PVC grab rails are available, though the holes never seem to line up, when replacing the teak ones. A low stainless rail would look good on this style of yacht. The companionway slide trim and other pieces could be fabricated from stainless or milled from HDPE or other plastic. As far as bolt on stuff, the grab rails are about it, the rest will likely need to be done up custom.

5. Southern Cross

6. jonr

jonr Senior Member

With the right types and/or additives, plastics can have good UV resistance.

7. PAR

The plastic teak products look, well, fake. Ever walk into a place, with faux marble vinyl flooring tiles? Yep, this is what the plastic teak products look like too.

8. Southern Cross

I agree about the fake wood but I was thinking about the white or off white

9. PAR

Faux white or off white boards will look like wood grain embossed milk cartons for sure, but they will fix your teak upkeep concerns. If you have no issue with a white or off white deck, then I'd suggest paint as your most economical and low maintenance avenue of pursuit. I also doubt these types of plastic decks will offer the best under wet foot traction. Certainly nothing near natural teak. If you teak is now shot, pull it up, put down plywood, epoxy seal and sheath with cloth or better yet Xynole, then tape off textured waterways and paint it. It's durable, easily repaired, easy to care for and you can be creative with the margins and waterways for some contrast and style.

10. Southern Cross

Here is one of the Olson's in the yard. Not exactly which product it is.

Attached Files:

11. jonr

jonr Senior Member

I always thought that if the rails were easily removable, taking them home and refinishing them wouldn't be so bad. But sanding in the hot sun wasn't pleasant.

12. viking north

viking north VINLAND

My answer to the teak handrail replacement is a combination of stainless rail sitting on plastic blocks. Possibly not yachty enough for some but certainly strong and very acceptiable visually. The teak imitaition plastic blocks soften the commercial look just enough. Basically the pipe ends are angular cut to match the slope on the end blocks. The open ends of the pipe can be forced friction plugged with the same material as the blocks or end capped welded, ground even and polished.( one of my posts will show how to polish stainless using a drill press and jewelers rouge). The blocks can be fancy cut to imitate the curvature of teak hand rails or simply cut on an angle. The tops of the blocks are saddle cut to match and receive the curvature of the stainless pipe. The blocks are then located over the old handrail fastener holes and the pipe laid in place and marked for drilling. Once the pipe is drilled place it back on the blocks and use it as a templet to drill thru the blocks and the cabin top. I used one 1/4 in. full thread stainless carriage head bolt for each block with a flat washer and acorn nut on the interior. I have included a photo of what it all looks like installed. You will need to magnify to view as I am too dam computer illeriate to do so on posting.
    P.S. If anyone would like detail construction details (example cutting the saddles in the blocks) e mail and I'd be happy to provide such.

Attached Files:

13. PAR

Those plastic rails in the photo above look like they were hacked out with a hatchet and bedded in silicone applied with a wire brush. Absolutely horrible workmanship.

Rails are an easy thing to do, in several materials. It's the companionways slides, rails, margins, etc., that cause headaches.

14. viking north

viking north VINLAND

I'm hoping thats post # 10 you're referring to, just kidding I knew it was. I was tempted to make a like such comment but I'm happy I didn't as I could never match your most accurate description :D
    However I do have to make a comment on my own work in post #12, I've got to get the owner to get his buns back here so I can install the eyebrow over that windshield - been 4 yrs. now and that bland look just drives me crazy every time i see it go out the bay.

15. PAR

Yep, referring to the image in post 10.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.