sheathed with epoxy - building the boat rightside up

Discussion in 'Materials' started by avogelnik, Dec 17, 2006.

1. avogelnik

avogelnik Junior Member

Hello,

I am building the 43´ wooden schooner. There is idea building the hull to the chine with plywood.
    Does anybody have experience have is sheathed with fiberglass and epoxy if your boat is rightside up.

lp avogelnik

2. BTScow

BTScow Junior Member

It is a little tricky, but with a second set of hands it shouldn't be too bad. There is no doubt if you could flip the boat over it would be easier, but I understand the reservation about rolling a 43 foot boat.

Crayke

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I've done that many times to sheat older boats. Set up a work table on the side of the boat. It has to be as long as the boat. Lay plastic sheeting over it. Put the fiberglass cloth over it and soak it with epoxy. Roll it on a piece of plastic pipe. One person holds the roll and walks it, while two lay the fiberglass over the wet epoxied hull and take the excess resin and air bubbles with a squeegee.

1 person likes this.

4. avogelnik

avogelnik Junior Member

Thanks.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.