Some good deals on multi hulls

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by ondarvr, Sep 7, 2017.

1. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Check out our inventory

upload_2017-9-7_16-43-3.png

2. UpOnStands

UpOnStands Senior Member

sad to see but looks like no lives were lost.

3. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

What a mess! I have my boat tied up in keys, looks like it might miss direct hit, I think it's too much to ask that it also spares my apt in Miami Beach.

4. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

I'm in China right now for the China Composites show, and was headed to Florida next week for the CAMX and IBEX shows. CAMX in Orlando has been canceled, the following week is IBEX in Tampa, I haven't heard if it's been canceled yet. It was cut short last year due to hurricane Mathew.

5. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Knowing what the best plan is in a monster blow is a dilemma. They can sure finish up in an awful jumble in a marina. I recall a bloke who took his 40' cat up a mangrove creek in a major cyclone, but high winds and a big storm surge finished up leaving it perched high up in the branches of the mangroves. Sometimes you just can't win.

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I used to take serious advantage of these situations, buying and flipping seemingly lost causes. You can swing a really good deal when the marina just needs them to go and the insurance agent is on site. My 65' sailor was had after Katrina holed and sunk her at her berth.

We're usually the place in Florida were all the "Evacuation Route" signs point to. Unfortunately, I'm looking to see the eye of the damn thing this time. I still have hope she'll stay out on the east coast (where my 65'er is berthed), just to spare me the trouble of clearing fallen trees on the property, but it's so big, it'll likely straddle the whole peninsula and we'll have a day of 100 MPH winds. This is unusual for this part of Florida, where we've had only two hurricanes actually directly land on us, in the last 150 years. My property is tree covered, literally. Satellite maps of my place and you can't see the shop, much of the house or the 3 other outbuilding I have. I'm hoping to get lucky, like usual, but some of these old oaks are going to come down. I just hope I have enough gas to outlive the power outages.

7. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

I think evac is a bad call. I just read an article on how people have been driving for 2 days in bumper to bumper with gas needing to be shipped in what a cluster F! Houston didn't order an evac for all the deaths it caused last time. Floridians jam highways to flee Hurricane Irma - CNN http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/07/us/hurricane-irma-evacuation-florida/index.html

My building has told me I am on my own, that's fine with me, solid concrete building isn't going anywhere ... if my windows break I will go sleep in the bathroom! If I can't handle that I will sleep in the stairwell. Much better than be out on the road! And go North, well how far north, Georgia just ordered evac's too!

If I had a cruiser, I would have taken evasive action, that storm is too big to hide in a little hole.

8. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I wonder what this one will be designated as.....a "one in x hundred year storm". Becoming farcical.

9. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

For our Fl friends be safe even if you can't stay safe . I have a feeling this one will be right up there with Andrew .

10. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

oh I just heard your car gets towed if you run out of gas so you don't block traffic, choose wisely.

11. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If in an evacuation zone, leaving is a good idea. Of course you should have done so a few days ago, but currently traffic is pretty light on I-95 up to the TurnPike. I always stay, but I'm also prepared for an extended stay without power. I have a well for water, generators for electricity, a brick home and my out buildings are stout, having been hit by falling trees previously and beefed up. My only concerns are having enough fuel to keep the generators running for the duration and the ability to repair fencing before George's (my neighbor) cows find the hole and escape. They always find the gap in the fence and rounding up 1,000 pound beasts, in the rain, at night, before they run off is a challenge, trust me.

Those that aren't as setup as I am, needed to get out. I've been through several of these puppies and have learned each time, what we need.

12. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

I 10 across Mobile bay was bumper to bumper when I came across it around 4 today , 20 mph , 3 out of 4 cars with Fl. plates going west . If you haven't left and are not prepared , go to PAR,s house .

13. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

lol ))

looks like it's going to hug the west coast now, running from a hurricane is stressful at best. Meanwhile the beach is perfect, I am glad everyone left!!

14. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

Their pumping fear and selling water . Bottled water was hard to come by 3 day,s ago in the mobile area . They need to concentrate on the primary areas a storm will hit first , and not those areas 6 to 8 days out . A cousin in Panama City was ready to evac to Mobile 4 day,s ago without knowing where the storm was going . The roads get clogged up , supplies that maybe need somewhere else are stocked up in areas that won't need them . The law is all along the freeway on 10 which slows , the trafic is slow on the bayway so people are getting off 10 and going to the causeway , when you get to the last on ramp from the causeway before the tunnel the cars that got off 10 are trying to get back on , slowing the trafic on the bayway . It was a long ride home today so I'm griping .

15. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

If you really wanted to make the evac go better, the cops would direct everyone to drive in the shoulders. That would mean 5 lanes instead of 3. Or at least use one shoulder for traffic and one for emergency.

Driving between the normal lines is particularly senseless.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.