Safety net rope type

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by raf pali, Sep 26, 2017.

1. raf pali

raf pali Junior Member

Hello to you all,
    I want to make a safety net across the two bows. The net size is 2M x 2.5M (7' x 9') and made with woven ropes (no knots) 50mm (2") apart.

I made the net lesser then 4y ago with a rope 6mm (1/4) DIA, 3 strands green, one of the strands have a yellow line. The rope deteriorated badly and the net is to be remade. :(
    I cannot remember the manufacturer. The rope was recommended by a sales person and it was a big disappointment.
    Now another sales person is recommending Donaghys Aquatec (green and yellow line) does any one know of it please?
    I saw a cat with the net made with a black rope, the net was still strong and looking new after 15y in the sun.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.
    Thank you all.

2. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

I made the nets for my trimaran using Dyneema knotless netting from Net Systems. For the bolt rope, I used Amsteel Blue. The net was folded over the bolt rope and I used UHMW polyethylene twine to create two rows of running clove hitches to stitch the hem together.
    [​IMG]

They've held up very well for the last 10 years.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.