Cabin access on a sailing catamaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Fanie, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hi guys, I have a simple setup I need to figure out.

On a 10m sailing catamaran, how much water do one get on the aft deck ? And in bad weather ? The reason I'm asking is if the aft deck is higher than the cabin floor (not desirable I know) you don't want water to run into the cabin.

In this case the cabin's bridgedeck clearance is about 800mm and the aft deck is at just over 1m, so a step will have to be added just inside the cabin.

The idea is to use the deck as a beam instead of one big beam doing the job. The deck will then span the boa of the cat.

Just an idea, have to consider all the options.

2. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

not a lot of water fanie, But at sea anything can and does happen
    use a high sill over your doorways, abt 400, to step over

3. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

We never got any water into the cabin on our 10m Eclipse. Even in our "Perfect Storm" we were only pooped twice (more than enough). Eclipse had a cockpit sole that was about 600mm above the WL and an aft beam about 1000mm above the WL.

I don't think you need worry about it.

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

4. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Thank you very much.

5. sandy daugherty

sandy daugherty Senior Member

Frog-choking rains can put a lot of water on the aft deck. Add a few 2" drains with a wide grill that will catch all you golf balls and bottle caps and screwdrivers, but still allow a good flow of water.

6. Nordic Cat

Nordic Cat Senior Member

I have a smallish "drain sump" or recess between my cockpit sole and the saloon. The sump is on the outside of course bu on the same level as the saloon sole. This sump has numerous 1½" drain holes. Size is around 600 mm athwartships and 250 fore/aft.

CE approval requires 5% of the cockpit area as a drain unless you can prove that you can drain it in 5 seconds (I think). I solved this by having an opening at the rear of the cockpit to let water out under the seats.

cheers

Alan

1 person likes this.
  7. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Water drainage shouldn't be a problem. I just don't want the odd wave in the cabin. For some strange reason they have a lot more water in them than any other wave :D

8. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

fanie please take my advice I have done a lot of ocean miles, the sea , it has one quest, and that is to find a way into a boat, and if there is a way it will find that path

1 person likes this.
  9. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Think one can confuse that wave if there's more than one way in ? :D

OK, so what's the real solution ? Seal it air tight then presurise it :D

I think it's going to be ok. The bridgedeck clearance for the ceck is going to be > 1m the way I have worked it out.

10. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Many years ago at an unstoppable age I was once climbing up a high rock that stood out about ten meters or so above the water level. Most of the breakers went far below the spot I had in eye to fish from. It was even shaped kile a comfy chair there with a high thin peak going a few meters higher. The wet line was far below so I figured it safe to get up there.

So, with the last breaker passing I scrambled up there with my fishing rod and some stuff. Beyond the rock was some nice blue water... I can just see the fish I was going to catch, although I had no bloody idea how I was going to get anything substantial up there :D But I was fishing, and that was what was important.

Now when the fish doesn't bite you buzy yourself with fixing the bait, tidy your rock :rolleyes:, look around for... things, you know. Important fisherman chores.

I have a guardian angel. Saved me from many situations. During this buzy phase of fishing I got tapped on the shoulder by this guardian angel I have.

When I looked up, there was this rogue wave right in front of me. It wasn't like anything I have seen before. I also realized that if that wave hit me it was going to knock me off that place and into the rocks ten meters below. It wasn't the kind of thing humans survive. Being mauled by a great white is safer ;)

How long does it take for such a wave to get to a rock a couple of meters furter along ? I dunno. Long enough so you can pack up your stuff, grab the rod and scramble up the peak. The wave passed inches below my feet, foam and huge waters passing around me at a scary speed.

I have no idea what caused that wave. Maybe the incoming and outgoing tide collided :p, or maybe there was a fish with a bigger guardian angel :D

Yes, there are waves with a quest. And you have to have a way out.

11. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Ok, that's it. I'm fitting stairs to the mast :D

12. Splash Gordon

Splash Gordon Junior Member

I wanna see you at the Joburg Show next weekend. (And any other Japies with boats, too!)
    This project sounds awesome!

13. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Eh Splash Gordon... fwd your phone no to my e-mail, I'll call you.

Better have the Splash Gordon suit on eh :D Are you sure you want to meet these moegoes I have as friends ? I'm not too sure you Capetonians are ready for this yet... like playing Deep Purple or Rammstein in the 1920's :D :p

There is this one issue I have to sort out with my guardian angel tho... regarding my ex wife... :D Oh yeah... and there was this one trip when the fish wasn't biting :rolleyes: And now that I think about it there was this time when... :D He he... I do have one though.

14. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

He he... Frog choking rains :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.