Anyone know anything about this design? (24' trimaran from Washington)

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by FirstLight, Aug 22, 2013.

1. FirstLight

FirstLight Junior Member

Stumbled onto this YouTube video of a 24' trimaran from Washington called the "Adventure Trimaran 24". It would be great for our needs here on a sound in North Carolina. I've tracked what I can and no luck.

Was wondering if anyone knows anything about this or if there
    is a comparable 22-25 foot trimaran in same configuration..

Here's the link.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBxcbS1oNhM

And a photo from YouTube screen capture..

Attached Files:

• 24.jpg
      24.jpg
      File size:
      42.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

I thought that little clip looked pretty good!

A couple of minutes searching turned up this page

And if you go to this page and find the name Mark Zollitsch then all of his contact details are listed there. The website is gone but all his other contact info should help.

Good luck!

3. FirstLight

FirstLight Junior Member

Hey Blackburn,

Thanks.. Left him an e-mail. Phone is no longer working. Thank very much. Thought this might make a good Everglade Challenge boat and is also perfect for my sailing area as I have a couple of kids that would love this..

We'll see.. Most plans I find for this type of boat are in the 14'-19' range. Sort of hoping to find a stretch version since waterline is king in my book..

THanks again..

4. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

^^^

You're welcome!

Like I said, that clip of him zipping around a harbor in flat water was appealing. Looked like a fun craft. But beware that the platform is strong and stiff enough for as many passengers as you're wishing to have. More than a couple of people and that prototype would likely have terminal problems.

It looked like Zollitsch had afterwards become more occupied with ministry than boats however (do an image search on his name). You may have to find another builder/craft.

;)

5. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Isn't this a design by Chris Ostlind?
    I can't find him as a member, but he was a regular contributor.

6. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

7. FirstLight

FirstLight Junior Member

Re Chris..

Upchurch..

I had a quick blast of correspondence with him past few days. Not his design. He may have a design that will fit the bill. If any thoughts of designs like this come to mind please chime in...

Cheers..

T

8. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I'm quite a fan of the two mast ketch style rig, more manageable sail areas, less lever arm from a tall rig and less loads at the mast base for an unstayed rig. It might not offer the absolute highest performance lift/drag solution but from an easy to live with and fun perspective should be great.

9. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

First Light,

What do you really want?
    24'?
    Ketch / Schooner?
    Trimaran I assume.
    Minimal size main hull? Kayak or covered canoe like?
    How many people?

The essence of that boat should be fairly simple.
    Frank Smoot is building a 24' Schooner. He did not intend to release plans earlier. But he is an easy guy to have a conversation with and his web site is interesting. Entirely self taught. http://www.diy-tris.com/

There is also the Trika 540 sailing "kayak" - it is a sloop, but could have lots of space for a second sail. http://166919.genaker.web.hosting-test.net/540.html

Then there are the the Gumprecht trimarans http://www.duckworksbbs.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1670 . Max 16' but extremely simple. Sloop

http://smalltrimarans.com/blog/?p=6989 has an extensive list of small trimarans.

Kurt Hughes has a 20' trimaran with inside seating for 2. Similar in hull but a sloop rig.

For something relatively simple you might try the Cross 18. Sloop, 30+ year old design, but should still be capable.

Last but not least, Phil Bolger had a boat called the folding schooner, very narrow, 30', which might be adapted to add crossbeams and outer hulls, allowing taller rigs. He also had other schooners, very narrow of shorter length.

10. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

The 24-footer is described as being molded in glass, epoxy, with some carbon bits, on this page. They were asking $20,000 for a finished boat it seems, and offering it as a kit. Maybe there are molds somewhere.

In 2010-2012 there's entries that Mark Zollitsch and Dave Peterson collaborated on a 23-footer, and there is (naturally!) a thread on this forum about it. Likewise it's got a thread at the SA multihull forum.

More here.

Then there's incidentally a Reinhard Zollitsch in Maine who is a kayaking guru with some very fancy kayaks. Must be related?

11. FirstLight

FirstLight Junior Member

Guys..

Thanks for the great information..

Blackburn.. Nice fins on the trimaran sites. You must be correct about the relationship. How many boatbuilding guys with that last name can there be.

Upchurch.. I think that this boat come pretty darn close to the ideal boat for us. However, the notion of dropping aMirage Drive in sounds good.

We live on a creek and 90% of the time we have to use auxilary power to get to the ICW where we can sail.. So the idea is to have something than can move under it's own steam well.. This criteria along with wanting to do a watertribe event sort of got me to this point..

I like the 22-24 length so I can also take wife and 2 very small kids out with me..

The other thing I like about this boat is the ability to get out of the cockpit and sit on a bench. So many of the sailing kayaks seem to underbuilt to allow sitting out a bit. I'm not referring to sitting on the windward ama for stability. Just on a bench out of the cockpit.

This seems to be a middle ground missing from may of the inshore tris. They are good from the cockpit but sitting out is not doable.

Can you guys figure out how the tiller works on this?? I've watched videos and can't seem to nail it down.

Cheers,

Tony

12. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Tony,

I agree with you about the benches.
    The sit in Kayak adaptations typically use foot steering and dedicated positions to sheet the sails. that makes it hard to climb out of the lawn chair (Frank Smoots choice) and sit on the bench. If you look at the Seaclipper 10 its a perfect illustration.
    All of my sailing has been sitting on a "bench" so I'm still not sure about being confined to the narrow cockpit.
    You also give up a lots of potential performance or stability in the cockpit.
    Might be hard to see the set of the sails.
    I think kayak sit in boats are based on pure simplicity.

OBTW. There is a peddle power thread where a propeller on a flexible shaft has been described, instead of the Mirage drive. Not quite as professionally finished, but one guy peddles a 30' trimaran "mothership" with towed kayaks for large group exploration.

Don't know which tiller you are talking about. some of the kayaks use a push/pull tiller. the tiller shaft runs along side of the sailor from the back and he pushes back or pulls forward to turn the tiller.

13. FirstLight

FirstLight Junior Member

Tiller in the Adventure 24..

Upchurch,

The videos of the Adventure 24 show the guy driving with a tiller extension however there is no tiller going to the aft rudder. Just trying to figure out how it is all coupled. Almost looks like a tiller going to wires..

I agree with you about the bench seating. I've grown up looking at the sails. Not the bow.. Would like the option to sit 'normal sailing style' versus kayak style.

I'll check out the flexible propeller shaft.. Thanks for that..

14. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

I browsed through these threads for the first time this morning, have you had a look at them?

Ted Warren's new Ultralight 20

Small trimarans 20ft and under

How can anyone spend all that time and skill building a light fast boat, only to make such sleep-inducing videos?

The Warrens ought to give that boat to some good F18 sailors, tell them to push it hard and get good video from a chaseboat.

It's high time they stopped coddling it and find out what breaks first?

:)

15. FirstLight

FirstLight Junior Member

Couldn't Agree More!

I watch those video and they are always in 3-5 knots. On one hand it is impressive to watch them in light air but you do get the feeling they will snap in 20 knots with 4 foot chop..

I looked over every 20-24 tri I could find and the Adventure 24 was still the best option. Even if I could find them $20k would be out o the question so I've taken a shot at designing and building my own. Why not.. There was some others with really awesome designs as well just none perfect..

Here's a photo of the beast to be. A bunch to still work out on the design but I figured building my own design is less an issue of what's practical than a 'life thing'. We'll see how it goes..

Trying to develop the hulls to have rounded bilges using tortured ply. Having some fun with it..

More to follow..

Attached Files:

• G1.jpg
      G1.jpg
      File size:
      62.9 KB
      Views:
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.