Rosawa

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Roly, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Roly

Roly Senior Member

Anybody used this timber for toe rails?
    How has it held up?

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Rosawa is another name for TEAK, Burmise I think. So it is great for anything on a boat. Being an oilly wood you have to know about how to use adhesives with it. Use it...........................................

3. Guest62110524

Guest62110524 Previous Member

Danske Møbler also manufactures a range of Eden outdoor furniture in natural Rosawa (aka Pacific Teak). As with Courbaril, cracks, splits and twisting will appear on the wood. It is not a manufacturing defect: it is natural behaviour of woods suitable for use outdoors.

To keep the natural Rosawa wood in good condition and appearance, wash the table and chairs or benches regularly (every 6-12 months) to remove grime, mould, salt and other surface attacking substances. For washing the wood, use either laundry powder, Napisan, 30 Seconds cleaner or Wet and Forget cleaner, as directed by the product’s instructions. The wood will bleach to a very light grey / white colour. In some climates, the wood may be susceptible to blackening. This is simply a fungal growth and can easily be cleaned off, as above.

4. Roly

Roly Senior Member

I have used it for residential outdoor handrails and it has held up ok (10Yrs), but
    seems to be 'peeled' by wasps tho'. Caught the little buggars at it.
    Has a silicon content and is beautiful to machine as it lubes your knives.
    Really stable, but not as durable, or insect repelling as real teak.
    Rosawa is known here as Fijian teak but it is not tectonis grandis (Burmese).
    It is actually related to vitex, and our Puriri.
    I have heard of it being used on boats in the islands but not first hand.
    "Use it..........................................."
    Yup, think I will as I have stock.
    Thanks for the replies.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.