Prototype Amphibious Sports car

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by thehildi25, Aug 19, 2010.

1. HJS

HJS Member

Attached Files:

2. Ramius41

Ramius41 Junior Member

3. anthony goodson

anthony goodson Senior Member

rambat ,that looks like a project to be proud of.

4. rambat

rambat Member at large

Outdrive

The "Splash" has the closest arrangement to what I suggested for your car. You can find a video to watch the outdrive swing down. Splash was done well but I don't see it going into production soon. These craft are the ultimate in compromise of combined systems. You also won't find video of the Splash coming out of the water unless the exit ramp went from 6' deep to 1' automatically.
    Take a look at the long outdrive, it is way deeper than the rear wheels which indicates it needs to be stowed to "drive" out. However, it is the most critical time to have water assist during exiting a waterway to gain traction of the wheels. Keep that in mind when you install your prop and try to design it to stay in water while you climb out. My 829 is packaged about as good as it gets for this since the water thrust pushes fairly deep, yet is protected from grounding by the large wheels. This is also another reason the waterjet was not used since it would run dry as soon as the intake rises above the water level always before the craft is completely on land. I am surprised to see waterjets still attempted on just about every "new" amphibian out there.

The few historically successful amphibians all used props, see Amphicar (Twin plastic props like yours)and Schwimmwagen.

Attached Files:

5. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Looks ready for the next Mad Max movie, or at least more ready than Mel Gibson.:D

It's awesome, but why limited to 55 mph on land? Tire rating or something?

6. wardd

wardd Senior Member

my take on flying and floating cars is they wont be practical until it is safe to park them at walmart or drive them in city traffic at rush hour

7. Ramius41

Ramius41 Junior Member

Flying or floating cars arent practical....The 829 was developed for search and rescue etc. because of the situation we found in the Katrina exercise!...Water to deep for vehicles and not deep enough for boats .... airboats worked well in the shallows but there were also plenty of land patches to cross....and because of all the debris and obsticles such as road signs and car roof tops and mailboxes etc. ... hovercraft werent very practicle either...We watched a rather large building burn for several days because there was no way to get fire fighting equipment to the location....we said if we had a vehicle that could tow a trailer with all the equipment on it that would float behind the floating truck that would be a real asset.

8. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Wow, indeed.

9. thehildi25

thehildi25 Junior Member

Thanks for the input and info. Rambat I was doing some research and came across your site a couple of days ago. Good job and good luck with your testing.
    I had originally designed this as a street car but after dealing with the aerodynamics of the car I couldn't overlook the undercarriage. But the amphibian was always in mind. My goal is to make this model submersible. Or capable of taking on a wave that would make the vehicle submersed. You know the movie 2012. With all these earthquakes happening now kinda got me freaked out.

Back on subject. I am going to have to go by a boat scrap yard and see if they have any thing that I could use, but then my exhaust has to be redone:(

Rob

10. wardd

wardd Senior Member

let me add " for personal everyday use and basic transportation "

11. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

I'm familiar with these cars, and the thought of that long, skinny A-pillar underwater is gonna give me nightmares.

12. Ramius41

Ramius41 Junior Member

Thank you....That is what i was referring to..:)

13. apex1

apex1 Guest

Not really Anthony. It is the opposite way round.

The VW Type 62- later 82 was developed in 1938 by Ferry Porsche
    The Willis Overland "Willis MB" was developed from 1940 on.

here the prop arrangement of the Type 166, Schwimmwagen:
    [​IMG]

hard to make it simpler.

Regards
    Richard

14. anthony goodson

anthony goodson Senior Member

Thanks quite correct apex1 Germany was first ,and yes Ferry did help his father on this one. Perhaps my post should have said "similar to a jeep " but then the pedants would have torn that to bits 2wd/4wd etc etc. As a teenager many years ago my second car was an old split back window beetle with an 1131cc engine as used in the Schwimmwagen this engine didn't use the same headgaskets, as the later engines, nobody in the UK knew this, I kept fitting them [copper rings] it kept blowing them. Took me ages to work out that you just lapped the barrels into the heads, never forgotten it .Great admirer of Porsche ever since though.

15. wardd

wardd Senior Member

the best truck of ww2 was the us 2 1/5 ton, the running gear was used in the duck (dukw) amphibian

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.