Looking for good calculations resource sight

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Lion of NOLA, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Lion of NOLA

Lion of NOLA New Member

Hi I'm building a 45ft, 4 stage side wall drydock. I'm looking for a good websight with some airspace to buoyoant lift calculators as well as just good easy quick reference calculation tips. If anyone knows of such a sight please link it to me.
    I'm currently a student at Texas maritime academy. For engineering and I'm using at least 6 books as reference. A single sight will really help me out. Any takers.

2. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

At the request of another, I have withdrawn the original text as was interperted as more cutting than I intended. I still stand by my original concerns voiced to the OP. 1) a 45 ft floating drydock can generate large forces. 2) A web search for Archimedes Principle and the Gas Laws will solve the question. 3) Using air to deballast a floating drydock is not recommended.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  3. Lion of NOLA

Lion of NOLA New Member

I'll put it in 3 easy to read, simple facts.
    1. this isn't my first rodeo. I'm 29, high school was 13 years ago. I have been doing this for the past 12 years.
    2. I'm typing this on my iPhone autotext is a *****. Sight = site.
    3. It's way easier when I'm at the yard to carry an iPhone with Internet access to get a quick ref. For a problem.

All I'm asking for Is a website with reference information. I'm not asking for a professional criticism of my poorly described plan. I'm not asking for your help or opinion in building designing or operating it. I'm looking for a math site. That's all.

4. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

( Response to Post #3 removed as irrelevant to the discussion)

Lion, as a professional in the marine fields, we should not wish to loose anyone or have anyone injured. To come into a open forum and ask a question is an implied request for technical criticism. I am sorry if my post was taken ad hominem. It is professional requirement for me to "hold paramount the safety, health and welfare of the public in the performance of their professional duties". It is also a legal requirement on me. I make no effort to hide who I am and if you feel you have been professionally slighted you have recourse to bring me before my licenser board under the State of Washington RCW 18.235.130 or RCW 18.43.105.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

64 lbs per cubic feet.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.