Measuring of generator winding resistance

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by m.s.j, Jul 8, 2007.

1. m.s.j

m.s.j Junior Member

Measuring of generator winding resistance
    Recently I participated in a generator electrical test program. Measuring of Stator winding resistane is also of the mentioned tests.
    The recommended test procedure by manufacturer to calculate winding resistance is wattmeter method. In this method, one 50HZ power supply is applied to the three phases of stator winding which is separated from other sections. In this condition electrical current of each phase ( I ) and active power consumption of three phases ( W ) are measured by suitable measuring instruments. Then resistance of each phase ( R ) is calculated as following relation:

W = RI2

As you know, there are many ways to measure active power in three phase symmetrical circuits.One, two and three-wattmeter methods may be used but in this case, generator manufacturer only recommended "two-wattmeter method" and high accuracy wattmeter for this measurement.

How can you explain the reasons of manufacturer choice? Why the two-wattmeter method is the best choice to reduce measurement errors in this case?

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

This question along with your other question about transformers would fare well on an electrical forum, wouldnt you think?

Most paticipants on this forum the boatdesign.net have interests in the boat industry and are interested in boats in generall.

You may get a reply -one can always hope but some how I think you already know the answer and are infact submitting a riddle?

3. TerryKing

TerryKing On The Water SOON

Answers...

Sounds like a HomeWork problem to me...

4. m.s.j

m.s.j Junior Member

Yes, I know the answer of my questions (at least personally), but as you know each question can be had several correct answers and there are some things for thinking in each new answer. However this activity is a mental try to share our knowledge, experience and practical information in electrical engineering. I hope you participate in this unison that has been constructed for science propagation.
    My watchword is "THINKING IS ENJOYABLE THEN THINK ABOUT YOUR SURROUNDING THINGS AND OTHER THOUGHT PRODUCTS"
    Thank you very much

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.