To epoxy over existing woodbottom or ??

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by MacGyver, Mar 27, 2004.

1. MacGyver

MacGyver SoCalBigMac

The Mahogany bottom has some soft spots (diver relayed) and I want to preserve this boat best as possible? What feedback do you have? I want to "harden" up the bottom and seal it as best as possible. It is not leaking, but I don't want to wait for it to leak, either? I have a plastic boat history and have never owned a wooden boat longer than 8ft.
    This sailboat points better than any that I have sailed, but is slower to react (great cruising rig) Needs GALE winds & can take Gale winds. :D

2. ClassicBoat.Com

ClassicBoat.Com New Member

Not a good idea to epoxy over a boat bottom, especially over old wood. This will accelerate the rot process.

So why do we see so much information about epoxy? Follow the money, that is the answer to most perplexing questions about human behavior.

Best bet- when you can get the boat out of the water, remove the soft planks and replace them. Be carefull to leave the proper gap between planks. Planks fit too tightly will cup later. Do not jam a lot of rigid caulk in the gap either, as that has the same effect as a tightly fitted plank.

Good Luck!
    www.classicboat.com