Scantling Structural acoording to BV Classification Society

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by thinhuk, Jul 12, 2018.

1. thinhuk

thinhuk Junior Member

Can anybody help me to determine the dimension of Center Girder, Side Girder, and Floors when I have calculated Section modulus Web cross-sectional area?

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Could you show us in a scheme, and with some complementary information, what is it that you have and where do you want to go? It is not clear what you need.

3. thinhuk

thinhuk Junior Member

For example, according to BV to scantling of primary supporting members, I have calculated the thickness of the Centre Girder, Sider, Floors and also have calculated the Section modulus, the Web corss sectional area. But I don't know how to choose the section dimension for Center Girder, Side Girder, and Floor from Section modulus and Web cross-sectional area. You can see in file '2', I have already calculated the thickness, section modulus, and the web cross sectional area, and in the file '3', I don't know how to choose the section dimension of Face Bar of Centre Girder and Side Girder.

Attached Files:

• 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      28.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.png
      3.png
      File size:
      30.4 KB
      Views:
  4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

You have to select a cross section, calculate its properties, area, position of the neutral axis, moment of inertia and resistant module, and check whether or not it meets the values required by the BV. If it does not comply, increase its dimensions. And try, not to increase the weight excessively, that the degree of compliance is as close as possible.

Attached Files:

5. thinhuk

thinhuk Junior Member

Thank you so much. Your advice is very useful for me. Also according to your advice, do you think I must add an attached plate to the stiffeners? If yes, how can I measure the width of the plate?
    Thank you again and have a nice weekend.

6. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

You're welcome. Of course you can add a flange to any flat bar. How to define its dimensions ?. you have to try, try to-error. until you get the configuration that gives you enough module, with the minimum weight. The flange greatly increases the resistant module (first moment of the area), so you are interested in giving it more thickness than the flat bar. But the relationship between the measurements of your beam is also regulated by regulations to prevent the beam from buckling.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.