Physicists needed for group project

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Zha, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Zha

Zha Junior Member

We are a group of physics and engineering students. We recently came up with an idea for a new boat. This one will have certain advantages over the old ones. We want to make a small model. However, we do need someone to help with all the details of the design (mathematical calculations, physical derivations) , calculating the exact sizes of the motor, the gap, taking account of all the hydrodynamics and air dynamics. We are looking for someone who is willing to join our group and has the ability to do the above stated. We are located in Ottawa, Canada.

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

An idea for a new boat? Describe the idea, explain your premises. You will get sufficient help here at the forum if you are serious about your project.

3. Ike

Ike Senior Member

You don't need a physicist. You need a Naval Architect. As far as I know there are two Universities in Canada that have Naval Architecture Departments. University of British Columbia, and the Marine Institute, University of Newfoundland.

4. JSL

JSL Senior Member

A rough sketch or description of what you have in mind would help.

5. Zha

Zha Junior Member

Thank you for your reply. Would you mind if I message you in private.

6. Zha

Zha Junior Member

7. Zha

Zha Junior Member

Hi, yes unfortunately it is true. But we have to get around with the resources we have. There are some common acquaintances who managed so maybe we will too.

8. Mani Kandasa

Mani Kandasa Junior Member

Sounds intriguing, but not sure what you mean by the 'old ones'

9. JSL

JSL Senior Member

if this new boat has certain advantages over the old ones (assuming they are talking about existing technology via books, papers, etc) WHY do they need help.... they already know it has some advantages.
    thanks
    an Old One
    'the hurrier I go, the behinder I get'

10. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I can not say that this is the case but it is very normal that people who do not know a subject thoroughly believe that they have had a novel idea, better than all the old ones (that they do not really know)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  11. JSL

JSL Senior Member

correct Tansl
    I would also hope they have done their research to make sure their 'idea' is, in fact, 'new'.

12. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

Zha,

I'll help you.
    Personal Message me your E'ddress if you like.
    But I would encourage you to spill the beans here for all to see and comment on.

Welcome to the forum.

13. Ike

Ike Senior Member

I would concur with the other responders on this thread. There are very few "new ideas" for a boat that haven't been tried at some time. This is why it is so difficult to patent a boat design. If you truly have a "new idea" then I can understand your reluctance to reveal it, but we can hardly help with it if we don't know what it is. As I said before you need to consult with a Naval Architect, particularly with one that specializes in what ever type of craft you are proposing. I suggest you contact the Society Of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers (SNAME) and get a recommendation Home - EasternCanadianSection https://www.sname.org/easterncanadiansection/home

BlueBell likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.