help with engine sizes have only 23 inches

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by elioti, Sep 1, 2008.

1. elioti

elioti Junior Member

hi there, i have replaced longitudinal stringers in my boat and this time glassed them in ( over 3/4 inch marine ply) . Originaly engine sat between these, a 24 inch space with stringers cut away a little at top for alternator ect. No i have glassed stringers in there is only a 23 inch space, now realise most engines are 24 inches wide between mounts so will be too tight, want to fit an engine around 80,90 horse (diesel), perhaps a perkins 4236. what are the narrowest engines? Thanks.

2. dsuursoo

dsuursoo Senior Member

dunno about the narrowest engines, but you should have an extra few inches of space above the engine... you could just have a set of custom mounts made up to fit. a fair number of machinists would do that. you might need to do some real tweaking to your shaft coupling, maybe even put in a set of universal joints...

oy. good luck, whatever your course.

3. BHOFM

BHOFM Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.