Proposal: Hydrogen Fueled Propulsion

Discussion in 'Forum Questions and Suggestions' started by WarthogARJ, May 8, 2021.

1. WarthogARJ

WarthogARJ Junior Member

Hi,
    I've been lurking on this really excellent forum.

And I was wondering if it might be a good idea to have a specific section in Propulsion for Hydrogen Fueled vessels.

I understand that the existing forum organisation is more to do with the specific engine, as in a "Diesel" Engine, "Gasoline" Engine, Electric Engine etc., but I think in many ways that hydrogen fueled vessels should have their own section. Both fuel-cell type (producing electricity), as well as in burning hydrogen in an engine: either spark, diesel or turbine.

In effect, it's the TYPE of fuel that determines the type of engine/motor/mechanical device in the boat:
    - Otto (or Spark) engine fueled by gasoline, or gas (LPG for example)
    - Diesel engine fueled by diesel, bio-variants, or sometimes with a gas added (hydrogen for example)
    - Tubine with liquid or gaseous fuels
    - Electrical motor powered by batteries, solar, generator or fuel cell
    - Sails or kite powered by the wind
    - Muscle powered oars/paddles fueled by biomass

And it's the choice of FUEL-type that drives your boat's torque/power/weight relationships. As well as your range, and even more these days, where you are allowed to go (due to emissions restrictions etc). And there's a big difference between a boat powered by a liquid fuel, electricity, or gaseous fuel (hydrogen).

There are five major distinctions in boat energy-souces:
    Liquid fuels: including both gasoline and diesel
    Gaseous fuels: hydrogen, and LPG
    Electric: batteries, fuel cell and solar
    Wind: includes classic sails as well as rigid wings and kite assisted propulsion
    Bio-mass: ("food") consumed by humans to power muscles that move paddles

But only two of these has its own section in Propulsion (in fact, Liquid Fuels have TWO: Gasoline and Diesel). OK, the Wind people are in their own section, although logically there SHOULD be a Wind section as well in Propulsion. Not every boat that uses the wind as an energy source is a "sailboat", after all.

And to be really thorough, perhaps there should also be a Turbine section created. Maybe there are not many civilian turbine craft, but it's definitely popular in military vessels. And with the predicted growth in hydrogen as a fuel, turbines might well start showing up in smaller boats.

So if there's going to be a split in Liquid Fueled types between Otto-type and Diesel, then Turbine powered vessels are significantly different, and should have their own section.

As for the human powered boats, maybe it's more a matter of boat size, than anything else. After all, I don't see much action on big ships either, like tankers, freighters etc. BoatDesign.Net tends to be devoted to boats from 2m to 100m: right?

But I think hydrogen-fueled vessels are going to get a lot more popular quite soon, so it makes sense to be pro-active, and encourage discussion on it by having a separate Propulsion section for it.

Alan

2. Kirk

Kirk Junior Member

On propulsion categories:

I'm interested in discussing using bicycle(s) to create a pedal powered boat. Specifically powering a 7 foot wide by 12 foot pontoon boat by one or two people pedaling bikes & then being able to beach the boat & take bikes off & go bicycling.

Also interested in discussing oars as a power source. Specifically powering a 7 foot wide by 12 foot pontoon boat by one or two people rowing.

I'm not sure where to post these. Maybe under propulsion create an OTHER category. & if enough posts on a certain topic then that could get its own propulsion category?

3. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

For now, if a thread doesn't fit in any of the Propulsion subcategories, you could start a thread in the main Propulsion category

Propulsion https://www.boatdesign.net/forums/propulsion/

Then if there are a number of threads on a particular topic, a new subcategory could be created.

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

< How to send Private Messages | closed thread >
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.