proper way to bond "corecell"

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by 28 CIGARETTE, Sep 3, 2007.

1. 28 CIGARETTE

28 CIGARETTE Junior Member

hello everyone,

backround-my name is eric and i am restoring a 1972 28 cigarette "open".

i have had this project for 6 years now and would like to get the engine stringers in this fall before i strip the bottom to blueprint and re gel.

question is - i am using 1/2" corecell 5# for the replacement stringers in the bilge.i am going to do multiple layers.

do i want to laminate 1708 to the corecell and then make a butter with mill fiber/cabosil to bond the corecell ...

or do i use a corebond material to laminate together?

i am going to use PLEXUS to bond the stringers to the hull and transom and then unitize stringers with vinylester and a combination of 1708/1808.

i have the original layup schedule from cigarette , and i could just do it like it was done back then , but i am looking to shed a few pounds:D

Attached Files:

2. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

IIRC Corebond is the product from SPA the producers of Core-cell and that's the recommended method of bonding it. I've seen it bonded with thickened epoxy. If you're investing that much time, effort and money in the boat you should test your materials to ensure they'll work. Take a couple of scrap pieces and try bonding them with the materials you already have and see how it goes. Epoxy would be a better choice for secondary bonding of your new stringers & glass to an older hull that was probably manufactured with polyester resins. I don't know what Plexus is but I'm assuming it's a PU adhesive. Again thickened epoxy will give a better bond.

3. 28 CIGARETTE

4. KnottyBuoyz

Sounds like good stuff. Have you tried it yet? I see no Cdn distributors yet.

I'm constantly researching materials so I'd appreciate your first hand feedback on anything you've tried.

5. 28 CIGARETTE

http://www.manufacturingcenter.com/dfx/archives/1202/1202feature.asp

one artical with a few pictures.there are several manufactures that are using PLEXUS adhesives ...i'm sure that some members of this fourm are using it and will post in on this thread.

it is a great product .

i am going to replace all of the floor in her as well. let me say that when these boats were built , they really loved 3/4" plywood. i am going to replace it all with corecell , build and laminate new consoles etc..i am also going to drop the floor where the consoles are at.

i am going to remove the deck and fill in all the holes , build up with duratec and re gel...

i figure , she's been around for 35 years ,she will be good for another 35 after i am done. 20 years ,my little girl will have something that no else will have..kinda like passing down a 57 corvette today:)

here's a pic of recessed floor i will do ..power is 540CI 560HP 620LB TOURQE merlin 3..

Attached Files:

6. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

PLEXUS is the bet stuff out there to glue fiberglass, you will not breack the bond I use it all the time to bond to steel

7. KnottyBuoyz

Where do you get it in Canada Jack? Another adhesive to test! ;o) Would you prefer that over a thickened epoxy glue? We're doing a stitch & glue ply trawler.

8. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

picked it up in the states we always have trucks down there so its not a problem to advoid shiping, i beleive there is a place in barrie that sells it i will ty and find for you

9. kern

kern Junior Member

I am building a 28' Airex core sailboat. The stuff is a closed cell foam and bonds easily to polyesther resin. Is corecell similar to it? What is Plexus? Could I use it on Airex?
    My unfinished hull has sat for a few years with the foam exposed to the weather. I think I may have to use some sort of activator to help the mat bond to it now. Any chemists out there that are into foam core building?

10. KnottyBuoyz

Don't put yourself out Jack. I'm a yr away from that stage of the project. Pretty sure I'll just stick with epoxy & woodflour as per designers recommendation. Maybe a purpose made heavy epoxy adhesive. Depends on what we feel will be easier to work with.