minimalist premament live-aboard cruising equipment

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by masalai, Jul 19, 2009.

1. masalai

masalai masalai

Just for entertainment, a resource for wannabes, and as a "cross-check" to ensure I have not missed something?:D

Lets assume, the boat is predetermined cat/mono, cruising-sails ordered - - all else has to be considered including if necessary, LWL, auxilary/genset, nav & house lighting etc, mini-keel or centreboard, wooden mast of al-extrusion, standing rigging material, "appliances/toys" and so on - - - - - Just remember MINIMUMS... only necessities for solo or couple to liveaboard and cruise... enjoy the exercise...

I am also working on my list and smallest mono solo I have seen as a long term liveaboard cruiser had a bit over 30ft LWL - - - and in a cat, - the consensus seems to suggest under 40ft LWL as that would allow slightly longer "open water passages" in fair weather, otherwise restricted to island hopping for either...?

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I just finished a long cruise on a 25' OD and about 22' LWL. You are not talking minimalist if you say "appliances/toys"

1 person likes this.
  3. apex1

apex1 Guest

Gonzo minimalist is i.e. a walk in fridge / freezer below 4m³ net capacity. for me..........

4. wardd

wardd Senior Member

wouldn't minimalist be a hull that didn't leak, too much?

1 person likes this.
  5. masalai

masalai masalai

6. apex1

apex1 Guest

Well Mas,
    I do´nt have that restriction.................... so have it!

7. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Everyone has their own idea of "minimalist", of course....

The eight-metre power cruiser currently on my drawing board will have no refrigeration, minimal electronics, no onboard cooking.... and this is just fine for us, because we can carry coolers and buy ice, we're in inland/coastal areas, and if we do overnight or extended cruises, we can always take a camp stove ashore and pitch a tent for any excess crew.

I have seen reports of other cruisers, albeit ones who go somewhat farther afield, who think that anything less than two heads, ten cubic feet of refrigeration, radar, plotter, navtex, fishfinder, VHF, AIS, two air conditioners and a genset, etc. would be "minimalist".

I think the key is to separate things into a few classes- call them what you will- to help put it all in perspective:
    "Essential for safety" (your sea anchor, normal anchor, MOB gear, charts, etc)
    "Essential to keep the crew alive and sane" (minimal galley stuff, dry places to sleep, etc)
    "Gets used every day or two" (clothing, toiletries, most of your galley implements, the ship's library)
    "Gets used now and then" (normal tool collection, etc.)
    "Probably doesn't get used much, but would hate to get caught without it" (engine parts, odd tools)
    "Can probably do without" (do we really need that third air conditioner?)
    "Definitely don't want on board" (you know that glass trinket you were given eight Christmases ago?)

8. masalai

masalai masalai

I am enjoying this, I hope you lot are too... Aircon? - the sea breeze:D:D and trinkets are a no-no as that is "the thin edge of the wedge" to disastrous overload:D:D:D:D

9. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

While down island I ran into a guy who had sailed from S. Africa to Trinidad in a 20' home build boat. To me it looked like a day sailor, but he was happy with it. Of course he only had two shirts and two pairs of shorts, one set of flip flops, and a couple of hats for clothing.

The entire boat was given up to food and water storage, but everything was cooked on a sterno oven, which also doubled as a heater when in cold weather...

This guy is what I think of when someone says minimal. I wouldn't be willing to do it, but it is possible.

10. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I can deal with anything except mosquitoes and need warm water to shower on occasion...

11. masalai

masalai masalai

marshmat, re-reading your post I am also reminded of the "legislative stuff that must be carried" - and not carried (firearms are an issue in several countries)

To quote from 'Are you being served', TV series, "Thanks everybody and keep up the good work...." - Young Mr Grace...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.