Propeller pitch for a 4HP Mercury.

Discussion in 'Props' started by lassjus, Mar 29, 2013.

1. lassjus

lassjus Junior Member

Hi.

I have an old Mercury 5HP outboard that Im going to fit on a small very light hydrofoil boat (around 25-30 kilos).
    I read the sportfoil plans, and they stated that you could actually get the sportfoil (45 kilo) into flight using a 4HP motor. They also say that you can experiment with higher pitch to get higher speeds. It is not the acceleration I am after (Except enough to get me in the air) but the cruising speeds I could achieve.

I am no expert in outboard motors, so Im wondering how high pitch I could go for. I don´t have the motor here at the moment, so I don´t know the pitch it has now, but lets say it is around 7". Could I go as high as 9" or higher?

Also, where is the best place to find such a propeller?

Lasse

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.